What does the ###### Symbol mean?

bill1004

I have one column on an Excel spreadshet that has currency data in it. $79.12, $82.76, $97.31, etc. The trouble starts when I go to input a number with an extra digit such as $111.82 into a the next cell in the column. As soon as I click out of there my $111.82 turns to #####. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"

Bagsy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Bill
Open up the column width

RAM

Different ways:

1) Place the curser on the right part of the column letter where the curser changes to a double arrow and double-click (or drag it).

2) Format - Column - AutoFit Selection

Hope This Helps

RAM

parry

MrExcel MVP
Welcome Bill. I bet you've guessed now but the #### symbol's are Excel's way of advising you that a numeric value in the cell is too big to display all it's contents because the column width is too small. In addition to the ways already suggested you can place your mouse cursor right at the top where the letter references are in between two columns (eg A, B, C etc) and the cursor will change into a double headed arrow - now double click and the column will autosize big enough to fit the contents of the widest value.

hth

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marypolitan