What is the best build to have for MS Excel.

shophoney

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my i9 11gen with a new pc 13th gen and 64gb.

What is the best build to get. Dell i9 13ks? Liquid cooled...

Money isn't the issue, but need to fastest I can get within reason.

I run large 100+mb Excel files as a CFO and accounting with other apps all at the same time.

Where should the money go faster cpu, more ram... faster ram? does video card matter?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
I can't really help with the hardware question.

But I can tell you that MS changed the calculation engine in Excel 365 a few years ago. I think the stand-alone version 2019 onwards also includes same. It is a considerably faster engine now. So make sure you use up-to-date software, the best being 365, which comes with immensely powerful new functions.

Upvote 0
have a look at the task manager (assuming windows) and have a look and see where the bottle neck is
CPU - RAM ??

When i looked into this in the past (quite a few years ago now) , for people , we often found that it was more of a memory issue and some software , allowed different % of allocation, photoshop for example

What version of Excel - I believe the 32bit version is limited to 2GB Ram usage , so doesn't matter how much ram you have or CPU - if its a memory dependant task, it will not improve

Also the version of the processor is important - I have seen some I3 out perform I5's
but again this was years ago - when i was looking into all this

I nolonger use windows and just use Mac O SX now -

Are you using cloud storage to access files and run, like sharepoint etc - and network connections can have an effect , Wireless or Cable connectivity and the performance of the server

so a few things to consider , you may also find that changing the use of excel to access speeds things up

I remember again back in the 90's - some huge database excel files with data manipulation using vba and functions - took Hours (sometimes days) to update - I migrated to access and then exported into excel - and the time reduced to under an hour

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirMalik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back