What slows down Excel

mkw4949

Board Regular
i have a general question about the type of formulas that will slow excel down and inflate the file size. For example from what I've heard using an arrey formula will generally (i.e. sumproduct, sumif or anything inside []) slow down you spread sheet but will it also increase the file size? What about the Offset formula? If I use ALOT of Offset functions will that severely impact my spread sheets performance. And I do mean ALOT as in thousands.

Also what directly impacts the file size and how can I better manage this? I am a pretty advanced user and I've looked in books but have not found the answer. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

so file size is strictly a function of the number of characters contained in the file. Does this mean that if your file references another worksheet in the same file you will increase the file size as well? For example does “A1” take up less space then “Sheet1!A1”?

In accordance with the points mentioned above, your file size would increase considerably with using cell colors and most importantly borders as well. Moreover, my personal experience - Excel file size will zoom up when you use Array Formulae over large ranges. Another problematic function is OFFSET(). Try not to use it or your will experience problems later on..also, replacing OFFSET() with INDEX() is a very wise decision, I should say that too ! It does help extensively for faster calculation and also reduces the file size.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyarra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back