Which is best choice: Excel or Access

mfisher5

I have a small meat processing business operating under USDA inspection. Right now, all my records are paper. I want to be as paperless as possible. My goal is an electronic database, with data entered via forms on a table and computer. A friend with a maintenance services business created an Access database for his business and it does almost everything I want to do. Another friend who uses Access to manage projects across a large organization advises me to use Excel, saying that both Excel and Access can meet my need and Excel will be easier to manage. I have been reading about Excel and Access databases. It appears to be a choice between data analysis and data management. I think I want more data analysis then data management. While I appreciate my friends input, I am looking for some input from a real subject matter expert. I keep the following types of data.

Customer information (name, address, etc.)

Customer Invoice information (products purchased, services provided, customer, cost, etc.)

Sanitation inspection data (required by regulation, no numerical data, basically pass/fail with minimal text boxes, I need the ability to generate statistical process control on this data)

Production data (some required by regulation, both numerical values, lot numbers, and pass/fail type data, need the ability to generate statistical process control on this data, more importantly I need the ability to generate an alert if a certain condition exists, for example a critical product parameter is not met or a required monitoring event did not happen). It is essential that I can link production data back to customer invoice data in case of a product recall (regulatory requirement)

Basic business management tasks: payroll, inventory management, maintenance costs, ability to calculate profit/loss on different products/services provided, supplies purchases, etc. I want the ability to create forms to gather data and create reports to track my business and meet certain regulatory requirements.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
You can combie the two, data entry into access, storing many records, and when you need to analyse, you import into excel and do the charts and graphs there

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back