Why do some people use Plus Sign at beginning of formulas?

Captain Smith

I have noticed that a handful of people at work enter a formula as =+A1+A2 instead of the way I would enter it =A1+A2

What is the origin of the extra plus sign at the beginning? To me it seems to be unproductive and is simply not needed. I have been using Excel for over 12 years and have never needed to enter any formulas like that. Does this originate back to a much older version of Excel where it was once needed?

Just curious.
Thanks.

Kyle
I'm not so sure of that, as an equal sign is still required !!
and yes, it was a relevant question !

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Why is an = sign required for, +A5+A6?

To be clear I'm not stating the technological reason for it, merely the preference of certain people for using it - it's easier to type +A5+A6 than =A5+A6 with a numberpad

Upvote 0
Obviously, I'm misunderstanding your point then ...:LOL:

Upvote 0
How do you type A5 with a number pad? ;)

Upvote 0
Hi

Why do I start some of my formulas with a "+"? It's quicker, easier (I can think of another reason: laziness).
In some non-English keyboards the "=" sign requires you to press Shift, while the "+" sign does not.
For a quick calculation it's just quicker to start with the "+", for which you just have to press 1 key (to press 2 keys would be such a lot of work! :) ).
Never underestimate the power of laziness! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for asking the question Captain Smith. I've been wondering about that for years. I finally searched for it today and found this post--started over 12 years ago.

Kyle123, good point. Strangely enough, when using the numeric keypad, and I type +2+2 Excel converts the formula to =2+2 and when I type ++2+2 it's automatically converted to =+2+2. So if I need a plus sign after equals I actually have to hit plus twice and therefore it appears to add an additional keystroke rather than save one.

Upvote 0
Hi

Why do I start some of my formulas with a "+"? It's quicker, easier (I can think of another reason: laziness).
In some non-English keyboards the "=" sign requires you to press Shift, while the "+" sign does not.
For a quick calculation it's just quicker to start with the "+", for which you just have to press 1 key (to press 2 keys would be such a lot of work! :) ).
Never underestimate the power of laziness! :)

After reading this, I looked to a file I got, and pretty much all the formulas in it start with neither just the "+" nor "=". Instead, the author of the file used "=+" in all instances........

Upvote 0
I looked to a file I got, and pretty much all the formulas in it start with neither just the "+" nor "=". Instead, the author of the file used "=+" in all instances.

You cannot determine how the formula was entered after the fact. In a new workbook, if you enter literally +B1+C1 into A1, you will see that Excel, not you, changes the form to =+B1+C1.

Anyway, what difference does it make?

The only reason that I deprecate the use of "+" at the beginning of a formula is because later, users will see "=+", and they think they must do the same thing; that is, type "=+", not just "+". I have even seen "instructors" (anyone can teach an Excel class these days) use "=+" in their slides. Klunk!

Upvote 0
I think this goes back prior to loctus. Those 10 key calculators that believe it or not a LOT if not most accountants still have by their desk, have you enter the plus first often. I hated using those but you have that. You'll likely have your hand on the number pad so it's closer. heck for many they click on cells and the + is closer from the number pad to mouse.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back