Why do some people use Plus Sign at beginning of formulas?

Captain Smith

I have noticed that a handful of people at work enter a formula as =+A1+A2 instead of the way I would enter it =A1+A2

What is the origin of the extra plus sign at the beginning? To me it seems to be unproductive and is simply not needed. I have been using Excel for over 12 years and have never needed to enter any formulas like that. Does this originate back to a much older version of Excel where it was once needed?

Just curious.
Thanks.

Thanks joeu.

I had never noticed but the same happens to me.

If I format a cell as Accounting and then enter

+360/60/10/12/25.4*17

then I also get the 4.8189 and excel changes the formula to

=6/0.833333333333333/25.4*17

, which is =(360/60)/(10/12)/24.5*17, it performs the divisions 2 operands at a time

To test if excel always pairs the operands 2 by 2, I then tried

+10/5/12/4/20/5

and excel transformed the formula into:

=2/3/4

again (wrongly) pairing the operands like =(10/5)/(12/4)/(20/5)

No problem if instead of entering the formula with a "+" I enter the formula with the "=".

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It's also because there's no = key on the numberpad of a keyboard
Right, I use it very often. but there is another reason, too. I do not remember well, but I think in older versions of Excel when I typed = then a value, it showed only the value, then I needed to edit the formula, so I had to click the beginning of the number, put the + sign again than add smth; when I put + sign, it was remaining in formula bar, so I only had to add something and not go back to put the equal/plus sign each time. Additionally, there is a setting in excel that converts a formula to a value when I marked = sign.

Upvote 0
Would it be the same reason why there is a minus sign for example =-I20

No, the "+" replace the the "=", =I20 ou +I20 is exactly the same value.
On my Azerty keyboard, the + is on top of =, so if I have a shift lock, I will type +I20 instead of =I20...and it does not matter.

Upvote 0
No, the "+" replace the the "=", =I20 ou +I20 is exactly the same value.
On my Azerty keyboard, the + is on top of =, so if I have a shift lock, I will type +I20 instead of =I20...and it does not matter.

Then would anyone know the reason behind the =-I20? I get the reasoning for the " =+ " I'm just trying to understand the "=-" and I can't seem to find it anywhere

Upvote 0
=-I20 would negate whatever is in I20. So if it contained 100, you'd get -100. Without knowing more about the worksheet, it is hard to say whether that makes sense or not.

Upvote 0
Thank you for posting this. Had the exact question as of 2023, and this is extremely relevant question to Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back