Would someone please have a look at my simple npr / irr calc and let me know if it seems correct?

jc65046

Hello!

I've read through several posts on here that I found by searching google and I believe I've properly applied the excel NPV / IRR formulas to my cash flow equation. But would someone please confirm?

I couldn't figure out how to import my excel screen, so here are the details and what I calculated.

Annual rate = 15%
Monthly rate = 1.25%
Term = 24 months
Initial cash outlay = $550
Monthly cash in = $60 (total $1,440 after 24 months)
NPV = $687.45
IRR = 10%

My boss said this IRR is way too low and something isn't correct. I've seen some other spreadsheets where they take the excel IRR formula and multiply by 12. Why would they do this?

Thank you!!!
Alex

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Because the rate is 10% per period, and the period is a month, so the annual rate is ...

Upvote 0
Annual rate = 15%
Monthly rate = 1.25%
Term = 24 months
Initial cash outlay = $550
Monthly cash in = $60 (total $1,440 after 24 months)
NPV = $687.45
IRR = 10%
My boss said this IRR is way too low and something isn't correct.

Your "boss" is incorrect: there is nothing wrong with an IRR of 9.74% (approximately). That is indeed the correct monthly IRR.

She simply neglected to tell you -- or you neglected to note -- that she wants the annual IRR.

There is nothing sacrosanct about an annual IRR. That is, an IRR can be monthly or annual -- or any other period, for that matter -- just as the discount rate can monthly or annual, like your data above.

However, the monthly IRR can be annualized two different ways: multiplying by 12, as you did ("simple" annual IRR); or compounding, as Excel XIRR does effectively.

Both methods are valid. For example, a loan APR is the annual IRR of the cash flows. In the US et al, the APR is the "simple" annual IRR. In the UK and other EU countries, the APR is the compounded annual IRR.

See the difference below.

A
B
C

annl rate
15.00%

mon rate1.25%
B2: =B1/12
term24months
init outflow550.00

mon inflow60.00

NPV687.45
B6: =-B4-PV(B2,B3,B5)
mon IRR9.74%

B7: =RATE(B3,B5,-B4)
annl IRR116.83%simpleB8: =B7*12

204.91%compoundedB9: =(1+B7)^12-1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Note that NPV and monthly IRR can be directly. But you might have created the following cash flow table (in E1:E25). By adding arbitrary dates in F1:F25, that also allows us to use Excel XIRR to confirm the compounded annual IRR derived from the monthly IRR.

E
F
G
H

12/1/2014NPV687.45H1: =E1+NPV(B2,E2:E25)
601/1/2015mon IRR9.74%H2: =IRR(E1:E25)
602/1/2015XIRR (annl)204.92%H3: =XIRR(E1:E25,F1:F25)

6011/1/2016

6012/1/2016

<tbody>
</tbody>

Note: The Excel XIRR is not always so close to the annualized monthly IRR. For these numbers, Excel XIRR can return between 203.24% and 207.04% (approximately), depending on the initial date. I chose an initial date that yields a close XIRR, by coincidence.

117%?!?!?! The actual IRR was 9.74%, so I multiplied by 12 to get the 117

You or your "boss" calculated the monthly discount rate (1.25%) by dividing the annual rate (15%) by 12.

So it should be no surprise that you might annualize the monthly IRR by multiplying by 12 ("simple" annual IRR).

But did your "boss" give you the monthly discount rate or tell you to divide the annual rate by 12? Or was that just an assumption that you made?

In either case, it would be prudent to ask your "boss" if she wants the compounded annual IRR instead of the "simple" annual IRR.

And if she does, perhaps the monthly discount rate should be =(1+B1)^(1/12)-1 instead of =B1/12, for consistency.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This was incredibly helpful. Much appreciated. My boss isn't very familiar with excel and I'm not very familiar with financial models, so it was just a misunderstanding. I really appreciate your time and help!

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back