You have entered too many arguments for this function

hershpatel

Hi I am trying to check if the cell [@channel] condition is met before doing a index and match function

=IF([@channel]="flipkart",INDEX(shippingflipkart!$B$2:$Q$3,MATCH('day1'!I4,shippingflipkart!$A$2:$A$3),MATCH(L4,shippingflipkart!$B$1:$Q$1)),IF([@channel]="amazon",INDEX(shippingamazon!$B$2:$Q$3,MATCH('day1'!I4,shippingamazon!$A$2:$A$3),MATCH(L4,shippingamazon!$B$1:$Q$1))), (if([@channel]="rediff", INDEX(shippingrediff!$B$2:$Q$3,MATCH('day1'!I4,shippingrediff!$A$2:$A$3),MATCH(L4,shippingrediff!$B$1:$Q$1)))))

The fomula works fine but as soon as i add the last if statement it gives me an error. You have entered too many arguments for this function

I actually need to add 3 more if statements after this. Please help

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Why do you need the IF statements??

[@channel]="flipkart",INDEX(shippingflipkart!$B$2:$Q$3,MATCH('day1'!I4,shippingflipkart!$A$2:$A$3),MATCH(L4,shippingflipkart!$B$1:$Q$1))
[@channel]="amazon",INDEX(shippingamazon!$B$2:$Q$3,MATCH('day1'!I4,shippingamazon!$A$2:$A$3),MATCH(L4,shippingamazon!$B$1:$Q$1))
[@channel]="rediff", INDEX(shippingrediff!$B$2:$Q$3,MATCH('day1'!I4,shippingrediff!$A$2:$A$3),MATCH(L4,shippingrediff!$B$1:$Q$1))

Your INDEX formulas are exactly the same.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick reply

I first got to check if [@channel] = "flipkart" and if it is equal then I am using the index and match function to chek for two conditions in the current sheet and then pull the values from another sheet.

I hope that made sense

Upvote 0
Here is an un-tested (and volatile) option you could try.

Code:
=INDEX(INDIRECT("shipping"&[@channel]&"!$B$2:$Q$3"),MATCH('day1'!I4,INDIRECT("shipping" & [@channel]&"!$A$2:$A$3")),MATCH(L4,INDIRECT("shipping" & [@channel]&"!$B$1:$Q$1")))

Upvote 0
channelsku iditem titlevatqtycityzoneweighttotal weightactual total shippingshipping cost
flipkart
NK-620-SCRNPRTCTR

<tbody>
</tbody>
Screen Guard Nokia Lumia 620 Protector Scratch

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Coimbatore

<tbody>
</tbody>
national

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

shippingflipkart

local20406080
national70100130160

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now first I check if IF([@channel]="flipkart" if it does then check the values of national and weight from shippingflipkart sheet

same process if IF([@channel]="amazon"
IF([@channel]="rediff"

As all these companies have different shipping rates
I hope this makes sense

Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick reply

I first got to check if [@channel] = "flipkart" and if it is equal then I am using the index and match function to chek for two conditions in the current sheet and then pull the values from another sheet.

I hope that made sense

Ah, I see the difference now. Oops.

FormR has an INDIRECT solution.

Upvote 0
Thank you for this

I am sorry i am at new at excel. I pasted in the formula and it seems to work but i have no clue how it works. What if i need to add more conditions i need to add three more

Upvote 0
Hi Thank you for this formula it works well, you are a life saver. I will learn more about using indirect function

Upvote 0
Glad it works - It is using the @Channel field in the table to dynamically choose the appropriate sheet to perform the lookup's in.

A word of warning - INDIRECT() is a volatile function, this means it recalculates every time the workbook does regardless of whether any precedent cells have changed. For this reason it should be used fairly sparingly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back