Displaying 1 of 3 pictures based on a dynamic number

MDSlom

I’m trying to create a report on excel that produces a red light, yellow light, or green light (all pictures) based on if an inputted number is lower, equal to, or higher than a dynamic number (which steadily increases week after week).So far, I have been able to produce this with a static number, by associating the green light with all numbers below the static number, the yellow light with the same number, and the red light with numbers above the static number. I literally typed out the list of numbers and pasted the 3 pictures repeatedly with their corresponding numbers.I’m finding it difficult to explain over text. Please let me know if you need more information.I’d like to stick with formulas if possible. Since I’ve gotten to the point where everything works with a static number, I imagine it is just a little more formula work to using a dynamic #.

The formula posted below is what I used for the static number. I replaced the ranges and cell selection with a description.

=INDEX(range with traffic light pictures,MATCH(cell with number that is either higher, lower, or equal to static number,range with numbers corresponding with the traffic light pictures ,0))

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
MDSlom,
Welcome to the Forum. If I understood correctly...
I assumed the static number to be in cell B1 and the dynamic number to be in cell C1. You didn't say how those numbers are determined so I assumed they are entered manually, or by another formula.

The formula below will provide the Picture Name, ie. 'PictureGreen', 'PictureYellow', or 'PictureRed' depending on the criteria. You can change the picture names, the criteria for each color (I used a value in C1), and the cell where the static number is located to suit. In this example if the Static number is LESS THAN C1 then 'PictureGreen' is selected...If the static number is EQUAL TO the value in C1 then 'PictureYellow' is selected...OTHERWISE 'PictureRed' is selected.

For some reason (unknown to me) the formula keeps being truncated to the following...not sure why. Perhaps a Forum Monitor can tell us why. Sorry for the inconvience...never had this happen before.
'E1 =if(B1...'<c1,"picturegreen",if(b1=c1,"pictureyellow","picturered"))

Perpa

Sheet1

A
B
C
D
E
PictureYellow

<tbody>
</tbody>

</c1,"picturegreen",if(b1=c1,"pictureyellow","picturered"))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a link to imgur.com with a picture of the above post which includes the formula I provided:

URL]

Perpa

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back