Excel for Mac crashes when using Application.InputBox

mattradtke

I am running Excel for Mac version 16.11.1 (180319) on macOS High Sierra version 10.13.3. I have written a simple test macro that only does this:
Code:
[INDENT]Sub RngTest()
Dim rng As Range

On Error Resume Next
Set rng = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Title", Type:=8)

End Sub[/INDENT]

When I run the RngTest macro, the modal dialog box appears as expected. If I select one cell in my worksheet, that cell's address appears in the edit control, also as expected. However, if I use the mouse to click one cell and then begin to drag the mouse to additional cells, Excel crashes.

Any help would be much appreciated. Rolling back to a different version of Excel or macOS is not really an option, as the application that I am building will be used by hundreds of people around the world.

Thanks,
Matt

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't change the behavior of this problem. It is true that the Mac version of application.inputbox only displays the Title and not the Prompt, but I can live with that. It's the fact that Excel crashes and exits that I need to resolve.

Upvote 0
I hate to try the obvious but have you tried selecting a range on this sheet without the inputbox?

I'm thinking some sort of range selection issues with a worksheet change event

Upvote 0
My worksheet is empty. In fact the only thing in my XLSM file is the little test macro that I posted. While in the Sheet1 worksheet, I can select multiple cells without issue. I can also select cells while editing a formula, for example I can enter "=Sum(" and then select a range of cells that then becomes part of my Sum formula.

The same behavior is observed on another user's Mac, although it is the same version of Excel. Therefore, I think we can rule out anything specific to my environment.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back