Error converting a column number to letters

insomniac53

Board Regular
I have been using this function for some time to convert a column number to letters. It should take any number and return the correct letters, even double letters, e.g. AH etc. It works, but there is at least one number which causes it to fail - that number is 36.
Here is the function:

Code:
Public Function ntc(ByVal iCol As Long) As String 'Number To String (returns ANY column LETTER)
    If iCol Then ntc = ntc((iCol - 1) \ 26) & Chr(65 + (iCol - 1) Mod 26)
End Function

When iCol is 35, function returns "AI" and when iCol is 37, function returns "AK" but when iCol is 36 function is undefined.
Can anyone see why it fails when iCol is 36 (and probably multiples of 36, too) ?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
i've taken it to LZ 338 and no problem as supplied

is AJ defined as something ?

Upvote 0
Thank you for replying. I've tested it myself again and you are right, there's no error. However, in my Debug=>Watch line, the function return string shows as NULL. I'm going to mark this as solved becasue the problem is outside the immediate function and in my calling code. VBA is unforgiving and I suspect it might be a simple integer/long parameter call issue, but will investigate.

Hmm... can't see how to mark this as Solved...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are interested, I think this non-recursive function should also do the job.
Code:
Public Function ntc(ByVal iCol As Long) As String
    ntc = Replace(Cells(1, iCol).Address(0, 0), 1, "")
End Function
.. or you could also use this line in the function.
Code:
ntc = Split(Cells(1, iCol).Address, "$")(1)

Upvote 0
Or you could skip VBA. This works through 702 columns, but could easily be extended to cover through XFD(16384)..

=IF(ROUNDDOWN((COLUMN()-1)/26,0)=0,"",CHAR(ROUNDDOWN((COLUMN()-1)/26,0)+64))&CHAR(MOD(COLUMN()-1,26)+65)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks - interesting. All these replies are good. I need VBA as it's part of larger code but 702 columns would be plenty!

Upvote 0
Or you could skip VBA. This works through 702 columns, but could easily be extended to cover through XFD(16384)..

=IF(ROUNDDOWN((COLUMN()-1)/26,0)=0,"",CHAR(ROUNDDOWN((COLUMN()-1)/26,0)+64))&CHAR(MOD(COLUMN()-1,26)+65)
If you are going to use a formula for this, why not use this much simpler one (it works all the way up to Column XFD as is)...

=SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(),4),1,"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great reply Rick. Certainly easier and faster. Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back