IF & AND question?

StephenSLR

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

In my excel sheet I am putting in quantities of apartments, there may be a few hundred apartments per complex.

Column A will be the unit no., column B number of bedrooms, column C no of bathrooms, etc.

e.g.
A , B, C,
101, 2, 1,
102, 1, 1,
103, 3, 2,

It may take 4 hours to clean a one bedder with one bathroom, 5 hours to clean a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom unit and 6 hours to clean a 2 bedder with 2 bathrooms.

I would like a formula to calculate, if cell value A is 1 and cell value B is 1, spit out 4 in column D.

Of course this is a simplified version, my actual sheet will have about 6 columns and the units can be up to 4 bedrooms with 4 bathrooms and 3 balconies and all combinations in between from a studio apartment with no bedroom and 1 bathroom, no balcony, etc.

I know how to use IF & AND formulas for a small amount of variables but what is the best formula or technique to use for many variables without having to use a formula string a mile long?

Thanks in advance.

s

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Welcome to Mr Excel forum

Try something like this

Create a table Bedrooms - Bathrooms - Hours (gray area)

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
Unit​
Bedrooms​
Bathrooms​
Result​
Bedrooms​
Bathrooms​
Hours​
101​
2​
1​
5​
1​
1​
4​
102​
1​
1​
4​
2​
1​
5​
103​
3​
2​
6​
3​
2​
6​

Formula in D2 copied down
=SUMIFS(H:H,F:F,B2,G:G,C2)

Hope this helps

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try something like this

Hope this helps

Thanks for replying.

Here's the issue: designs constantly change and my boss constantly changes his mind about the hours required when the client comes back and says our price is too high. Yes I know, we should just reduce the rate but my boss doesn't think that way, he asks me to change the hours instead.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
Description
Bedrooms
Bathrooms​

Formula
2 beds, 2 baths
2​

1 bed, 1 bath
1​

5​
3 beds, 2 baths
3​
2​

6​
2 beds, 1 bath

<tbody>
</tbody>

I will need a table something like above ^ perhaps not with bedroom and bathroom columns; to be used as the reference to source from.

A formula in column H below will match what is in colum B & C and then extract the hours from column H above. As the hours will be ever changing I expect the values in colum H below to change when the values above do.

Then another table with units, etc. as a 'quantities' table.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
Units
Bedrooms​
Bathrooms​
Balconies

Formula cells
2​
1​

1​
1​

5​
3​
2​

<tbody>
</tbody>

From this quantities table ^ the no. of beds, baths, etc. can change.

One minute unit 101 will have 1 bathroom, in the next design revision 101 will have 2 bathrooms.
So when I get that update I will type the '2' into cell C2 and H2 should automatically change to 3.5

Another example would be studio apartments now have balconies, etc.

I hope this is coming across clearer; this is just the way I would expect it to work, perhaps there is an easier method.

s

Upvote 0
Oops, I have no edit feature, it should read:

One minute unit 101 will have 1 bathroom, in the next design revision 101 will have 2 bathrooms.
So when I get that update I will type the '2' into cell C2 and H2 should automatically change from 4 to 4.5 as a unit with an extra bathroom will take longer to clean.

s

Upvote 0

So when I get that update I will type the '2' into cell C2 and H2 should automatically change to 3.5

It seems to me that my suggestion in post 2 does exactly what you need, that is when you change the number of bedrooms or bathrooms it updates the result automatically. Have you tried it?

Sorry, i don't understand what you are trying to do. Maybe someone else can help.

M.

Upvote 0
It seems to me that my suggestion in post 2 does exactly what you need, that is when you change the number of bedrooms or bathrooms it updates the result automatically. Have you tried it?

My apologies, I just tried it and I think it's getting close.

For some reason, when I copied the formula down, the result is 5 in every row below in the D column, even when I change values it remains as 5.

It's as if it has taken only your H3 value and copied it down each row.

s

Upvote 0
I've tried it on a brand new sheet and it works perfectly so something is not quite right on my actual work sheet.

Thank you; I'll try to figure this one out and let you know.

s

Upvote 0
Repeating post 2

Let's say you initially have this

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
Unit​
Bedrooms
Bathrooms​
Result​
Bedrooms​
Bathrooms​
Hours​
101​
2​
1​
5​
1​
1​
4​
102​
1​
1​
4​
2​
1​
5​
103​
2​
6​
3​
2​
6​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula in D2 copied down
=SUMIFS(H:H,F:F,B2,G:G,C2)

Then you change the number of bedrooms of Unit 101 to 1 (B2 in red)

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
Unit​
Bedrooms
Bathrooms​
Result​
Bedrooms​
Bathrooms​
Hours​
101​
1​
4​
1​
1​
4​
102​
1​
4​
2​
1​
5​
103​
2​
6​
3​
2​
6​

<tbody>
</tbody>

The result in D2 updates automatically to 4 - bingo!

Try it.

M.

Upvote 0
It's now working perfectly!

I'm very happy with your solution, it will save me lots of time.

Now to stretch it further; would it be possible to have the greyed out area above my quantities table for easy reference?

The only reason I ask this is because the bedrooms, bathrooms, windows, etc. can stretch across to the Z column and I have to scroll sideways and upward to find my data source.

It's so much easier for me to hit 'Ctrl + Home' to take me to the top of the sheet when I need to do this.

If this is not possible, no worries, your solution has helped me immensely.

Thank you so much. :)

s

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

About your question
"Now to stretch it further; would it be possible to have the greyed out area above my quantities table for easy reference?"

You must create the reference table including everything: bedrooms, bathrooms, balconies, windows etc and adjust the formula properly.

Example

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
Unit​
Bedrooms​
Bathrooms​
Balconies​
Windows​
Result​
Bedrooms​
Bathrooms​
Balconies​
Windows​
Hours​
101​
2​
1​
0​
4​
5​
1​
1​
0​
3​
4​
102​
1​
1​
0​
3​
4​
2​
1​
0​
4​
5​
103​
3​
2​
1​
5​
6​
3​
2​
1​
5​
6​

Formula in F2 copied down
=SUMIFS(L:L,H:H,B2,I:I,C2,J:J,D2,K:K,E2)

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back