looping through subdirectories in a zip file vba

fwjcld

Hi
I'm trying to loop through all the files in a directory, including subdirectories and copy anything that has the word 'spec' in it to another location. It work fine until I come across a zip file, which has subdirectories in it. Does anyone know how I loop through files in a subdirectory of a zip file? I've searched on the internet but can't find anything that I can get to work.
Any help gratefully received!

Sub FindZipFileNames(sh, FName)
Dim fileNameInZip, iFileName As String, newFolder As String, nextDir As String, SubF

If FName.items.Count > 0 Then
For Each fileNameInZip In FName.items
If fileNameInZip.isfolder = True Then 'Or LCase(Right(fileNameInZip.Name, 3)) <> "zip" Then
' ' ????

Else
copyFile = False
iFileName = fileNameInZip.Name
If InStr(iFileName, ".") > 0 Then
If Mid(iFileName, Len(iFileName) - 2, 3) = "doc" Or Mid(iFileName, Len(iFileName) - 3, 4) = "docx" Or Mid(iFileName, Len(iFileName) - 3, 4) = "docm" Then
If InStr(UCase(nName), "SPEC") > 0 Then
copyFile = True
cntOther = cntOther + 1
End If
End If
If copyFile = True Then
newFolder = outFolder & Mid(FName, Len(inFolder) + 1, Len(FName) - Len(inFolder)) & ""
If bDirExists(newFolder) = False Then
cntlevels = Len(newFolder) - Len(Replace(newFolder, "", "")) - 1
iPos = InStr(newFolder, "")
For iLevel = 1 To cntlevels
iPos = InStr(iPos + 1, newFolder, "")
nextDir = Mid(newFolder, 1, iPos)
If bDirExists(nextDir) = False Then
MkDir nextDir
End If
Next iLevel
End If
oApp.Namespace(CStr(newFolder)).CopyHere oApp.Namespace(CStr(FName)).items.Item(CStr(fileNameInZip))
End If
End If
End If
Next
End If
Set oApp = Nothing

End Sub

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Unzip the files to a (temporary) folder and search that. This shows how to unzip a .zip file:
Code:
Public Sub Unzip()

Dim zipFile As Variant, destFolder As Variant
    Dim Sh As Object
    Dim CopyHereFlags As Variant

CopyHereFlags = 4 + 8 + 16 'https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/shell/folder-copyhere

zipFile = "C:\folder\path\files.zip"     '.zip file to be unzipped
    destFolder = "C:\path"                    'destination folder of .zip file's unzipped contents

Set Sh = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    With Sh        
        .Namespace(destFolder).CopyHere .Namespace(zipFile).Items, CopyHereFlags
    End With

End Sub
In addition, if you want to search subfolders of subfolders then you'll need to redesign your code so it can call itself (a recursive procedure).

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. I was coming to the conclusion that I would need to unzip everything but as I have lots of files to process I was hoping there might be a way to search the zip file first so I would only need to unzip the files I needed.

Upvote 0
I have implemented this solution which seemed to be working fine but have just realised that it doesn't always unzip everything in the zipped file. Could this be something to do with the version in winzip that was used to zip it in the first place or because there are multiple levels of folders and subfolders within the zipped file? It doesn't work if I try and unzip the whole file manually either so I'm guessing there nothing much I can do about this using VBA?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back