ollyhughes1982

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
[FONT=&quot]Hi.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have a spreadsheet that I have setup to record all of my running club’s club championship events. However, I have an issue with the ‘LPF League Points Column’ in my spreadsheet (‘Results Data’ worksheet). e.g. In this example, cells L114 and L139.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This column (L) works perfectly for all the cells in it, but only when the first cell (K5) has a result within it. The issue is, as per my example, if the runner in the top row doesn’t compete, then the calculations in L114 and L139 show an error. I need to fix this, as obviously not every person will compete in every event. Is there a way that I can get this to work, perhaps so the formula looks down column K to find the first cell with a result in and allow the calculations in column L to then work?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here’s the link to the document:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://1drv.ms/x/s!AtIvkRgReIvwgQZMIPklw3YJxtY_[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Really stuck, please help![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks.[/FONT]

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Your formula in L5:

Code:
=IF(I5="",0,(MINUTE('Membership List'!AH4)*60+SECOND('Membership List'!AH4))*((E5/5)^1.06)/((HOUR(F5)*3600)+(MINUTE(F5)*60)+SECOND(F5))*(1/AVERAGE($K$5:[COLOR=#0000ff]$K$484[/COLOR]))*100)

changes from row 6 onwards

Code:
=IF(I137="",0,(MINUTE('Membership List'!AH136)*60+SECOND('Membership List'!AH136))*((E137/5)^1.06)/((HOUR(F137)*3600)+(MINUTE(F137)*60)+SECOND(F137))*(1/AVERAGE($K$5:[COLOR=#b22222]$K$5[/COLOR]))*100)

therefore if there is nothing in 5 you are dividing by 0 and get that error.

Also the setup you have means that if you reorder lists, add in new runners etc you are extremely likely to run into problems with calculations - I would consider using Lookups (Vlookup, Hlookup or index/match) to pull the relevant members records from the members list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you are referencing the row above AH114 is looking at AH113 which is zero hence divide by issue

Upvote 0
Seems to be referencing AH114 in the membership List worksheet where the runners are in the same order but the list starts on row 4 instead of 5. There is no division by that cell though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, thank you so much. It was just a simple error in that I changed the formula to the correct one in the top row, but forgot to fill it down! I did this as I rearranged the order when I had to add some new competitors in. This is as you say, a little problematic as I need to update the formula each time I do this. Thanks

Upvote 0
Ah, thank you so much. It was just a simple error in that I changed the formula to the correct one in the top row, but forgot to fill it down! I did this as I rearranged the order when I had to add some new competitors in. This is as you say, a little problematic as I need to update the formula each time I do this. I have now corrected.

Could you possibly amend me spreadsheet to show me how I could possibly do the index / match / lookup solution so it would automatically cater for any new rows added in / resorted?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back