MID function + not null?

tmurph802

Hi All,

I'm processing camera data on a citizen science platform where each image has to be classified three times before being retired. In this instance, I want to know which are retired, and which are not. Those that are not retired are listed as null in a string, and those that are have a long string associated with them, including the date and time of retirement. Below are two examples of what I'm looking at:

Not Retired =
{"28529900":{"retired":null,"Filename":"Camera2_20181024_182250.jpg"}}
Retired =
{"28533011":{"retired":{"id":27561903,"workflow_id":8150,"classifications_count":3,"created_at":"2018-12-10T21:22:07.253Z","updated_at":"2019-01-17T20:16:36.524Z","retired_at":"2019-01-17T20:16:36.511Z","subject_id":28533011,"retirement_reason":"classification_count"},"Filename":"Camera4_20180930_194749.jpg"}}

I tried the MID function to extract the first four characters after "retired" (in red in the string above), which gave me null and {"id. If the image is retired, I want to see the time it was pulled (in orange in the above string). My thought is "if not null, then the slice of string with retired time". Is there an easier, or more logical way to do that? I also tried LOOKUP and VLOOKUP but couldn't smooth it out to avoid errors.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Welcome to the Board.

How about something like:

=IFERROR(MID(A1,SEARCH("retired_at",A1)+13,24),"not retired")

Upvote 0
Perfect! I omitted the time so turned the 24 into 10, and will group them for pivot tables. Thank you!

Upvote 0
As it turns out, grouping those dates in a pivot table gives me a "cannot group selection error", even when the "not retired" was changed to a " ". Any workarounds that come to mind?

Upvote 0
I don't know a lot about pivot tables, but it could be that you're having a hard time grouping the dates since the formula returns a text value. You can convert it to a "real" Excel date like this:

=IFERROR(MID(A1,SEARCH("retired_at",A1)+13,24)+0,"not retired")

then format the cell as a date.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back