simple "AND" issue

sassriverrat

Good Afternoon,

I'm having an issue- I think I've coded "AND" wrong.
Right now, with today's date and time, the sheet is kicking a "No" when it should be "Yes" and changing the computer date to December (to see if it says "Yes") doesn't change away from "No" so I figure my use of "AND" was wrong. Thanks for the help!

This is designed to provide a "Yes" or a "No" to state if daylight savings is in effect or not.
Notes!L13 is the date of daylight savings start (March 10, 2019)
Notes!M13 is 2:00 AM
Notes!L14 is the date of daylight savings end (November 3, 2019)
Notes!M14 is 2:00 AM
C5 is today's date
D5 is the current time

The cells in Notes automatically update annually.

Code:
=IF(AND((NOTES!L13+NOTES!M13)<((C5+D5)),(NOTES!L14+NOTES!M14)>((C5+D5))),"YES","NO")[\code]

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
The logic of your AND expression works fine for me, although I would change the first condition to "<=".

I wonder if D5 is not really just "current time". Did you use =NOW() (date as well as time of day) or =MOD(NOW(),1) (only time of day)?

Even the latter might be wrong for your purposes. It would be prudent to write =--TEXT(NOW(), "h:m:s").

PS.... Why separate date and time into two cells? Why not simply enter March 10, 2019 2:00 AM into one cell? Similarly for the other date and times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So C5 and D5 are manually-input dates and times. However, D5 may be put in as 0200 or 2:00 (just a random time picked). Would that throw it?

Upvote 0
So here's another formula on another sheet throwing the same issue-

note- I will fix the >= you marked AND the "C5" and "D5" cells from before are on the "Voyage Specifics" Tab

Code:
=IF(AND((Notes!L13+Notes!M13)<((IF(F4="NO DATA INPUT",'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C6+'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C7,F4+D4))),(Notes!L14+Notes!M14)<((IF(F4="NO DATA INPUT",'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C6+'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C7,F4+D4)))),"YES","NO")

Upvote 0
PS.... Why separate date and time into two cells? Why not simply enter March 10, 2019 2:00 AM into one cell? Similarly for the other date and times.

To answer your question- because I have formulas that auto calculate daylight savings in the date cells (time cells are static) and they spit out the date- so I don't have to change it on every user's computer every year

Upvote 0
D5 may be put in as 0200 or 2:00 (just a random time picked). Would that throw it?

Certainly! Excel does not recognize 0200 as time of day. A "quick fix" (not a good one): change C5+D5 to C5+IF(D5<=0,D5,TEXT(D5,"0\:00")).

Better: Convert D5 using =IF(D5<=0,D5,--TEXT(D5,"0\:00") in E5, then use C5+E5. Note the need to use "--" (double negate) with TEXT in that context.

Upvote 0
Code:
=IF(AND((Notes!L13+Notes!M13)<((IF(F4="NO DATA INPUT",'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C6+'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C7,F4+D4))),
(Notes!L14+Notes!M14)<((IF(F4="NO DATA INPUT",'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C6+'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C7,F4+D4)))),"YES","NO")

I don't see any difference vis-a-vis the key problem: the form of the time of day.

An aside.... The use of redundant parentheses obfuscates the design of the formula, IMHO. Consider writing it as:

Code:
=IF(AND(Notes!L13 + Notes!M1 <= IF(F4="NO DATA INPUT", 'VOYAGE  SPECIFICS'!C6 + 'VOYAGE  SPECIFICS'!C7, F4+D4),
Notes!L14 + Notes!M14 < IF(F4="NO DATA  INPUT", 'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C6 + 'VOYAGE SPECIFICS'!C7, F4+D4)), "YES", "NO")

And consider using the null string ("") or simply an empty cell instead of "NO DATA INPUT". Then you can write IF(F4="",...).

Upvote 0
So that seemed to work for me if I put the time in as 1500 but if I put it in as 15:00 then it didn't work.

Now on a side note- I found my issue......haha wonderful. Where I had Notes!L13, it should have been Notes!K13. Come to notice that the K tab was merged and the tab itself was very very small....so checking the coding it all works with K in place of L!

For your info- here's the bit of coding I had before (that I came co-created with another forum user a while back) for the military time piece-

Code:
Function Miltime(T1 As Integer)' Input T1: 24-hour time as integer,e.g., 1130=11:30, 1650=16:50
' Output, time as serial time e.g, 0.5 for noon.

Dim TT1 As Double
TT1 = Int(T1 / 100) + (((T1 / 100) - Int(T1 / 100)) / 0.6) '23.50
TT1 = TT1 / 24
Miltime = TT1

End Function

Function MilitarytoTime(Miltime As String) As Date
If Miltime <> "" Then
    MilitarytoTime = Format(Replace(Miltime, ":", ""), "00:00")
End If
End Function
'Public Function MilitaryToTime(d As Double) As Double
  'If d < 1# Then
  ' ' MilitaryToTime = d
  'Else
  '  MilitaryToTime = CDate(Format(d, "0\:00"))
 ' End If
'End Function

Upvote 0
So that seemed to work for me if I put the time in as 1500 but if I put it in as 15:00 then it didn't work.

What doesn't work when you enter 15:00?

It works just fine when I enter =TODAY() into C5 and the number 1234 into D5. The result of the formula =C5+IF(D5<=0,D5,TEXT(D5,"0\:00")) is 3/20/2019 12:34 when properly formatted.

The formula =IF(D5<=0,D5,--TEXT(D5,"0\:00")) also works when you correct my "obvious" typo of a missing right-parenthesis. The result is 12:34 when propertly formatted.

I convert military time (1500) to Excel time (15:00). That is consistent with the Excel formula that you posted.

Your VBA code is expecting military time; that is, time as an integer (100*h + m). (FYI, it is better to use type Long.)

OTOH, it is not clear to me that you need that function. It seems to be some kind of conversion of military time -- perhaps the conversion that I do in the Excel formula. However, I am not taking the time to understand your code.

I cannot help you further if you present the problem(s) in pieces without explanation.

Upvote 0
It works just fine when I enter =TODAY() into C5 and the number 1234 into D5. The result of the formula =C5+IF(D5<=0,D5,TEXT(D5,"0\:00")) is 3/20/2019 12:34 when properly formatted. The formula =IF(D5<=0,D5,--TEXT(D5,"0\:00")) also works when you correct my "obvious" typo of a missing right-parenthesis. The result is 12:34 when propertly formatted.

I'm sorry. First, you were talking about time entered as 12:34, not 1234. And in that case, you are correct: the formula is wrong. In both cases, "<=0" should be "< 1". Klunk!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back