Count first instance of two unique entries

Kinno

Hi all! This is my first post on here so go easy on me! I've searched all over the web and in this forum for a solution but I can't seem to find anything explaining what I'm really trying to do. Been stuck on this for a few days so now I'm coming to ask for help!

So I have a spreadsheet full of patients appointments and who they were referred to the company by. I want to try and count the number of times a referral source has provided a new patient to the company. My list however contains all the appointments these people have had and therefore the referral source is listed each time. This isn't ideal as I only need to count the referral source the one time per patient. I've tried all kinds of different things and nothing seems to work for me sadly.

So the data looks as follows

AB
MarioInsurer
JaneClinician
PhilWebsite
LiamGP
DavidGP
AlexiClinician
RobWebsite
AnaClinician
DavidGP
WilliamGP
JaneClinician
MeganGP
PhilWebsite
PhilWebsite

<tbody>
</tbody>

DE
Clinician?
Insurer?
Website?
GP?

<tbody>
</tbody>

So hopefully someone can help me out with this

Should count
Clinician: 3
Insurer: 1
GP: 4

Thanks

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Welcome to Mr Excel forum

Try
Array formula in E1 copied down
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(B$1:B$14=D1,MATCH(A$1:A$14,A$1:A$14,0)),ROW(A$1:A$14)-ROW(A$1)+1),1))
confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0
Hi Kinno,

One other option is to use a PivotTable in conjunction with a helper column.

Add a helper column next to your data in Columns A & B, which concatenates the two:

Code:
=A1&" - "&B1

Then create a PivotTable of all three columns by going to Insert > PivotTable - before you click "OK" to create your PivotTable make sure to check the option to "Add this data to the Data Model" right at the bottom - this is important.

Now create a simple PivotTable with Column B values in the Rows section and Column C values in the Values section. Initially this will create a straight count of Column C values, but if you go into the Value Field Settings, scroll all the way to the bottom of the Summarize Values By tab, you should see "Distinct Count" at the bottom. Select that, click "OK" and you should now get the result you want.

Good luck,

AP

Upvote 0
Another option:-
Your data starts row2, Results start "C1".
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG29Mar40
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Dic [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Object, c [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] k [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Variant

[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range("B2", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Dic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
            Dic.CompareMode = 1
   [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
            [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not Dic.exists(Dn.Value) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Dic(Dn.Value) = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
            [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If

[COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not Dic(Dn.Value).exists(Dn.Offset(, -1).Value) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                Dic(Dn.Value).Add (Dn.Offset(, -1).Value), Nothing
            [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
    [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn

ReDim ray(1 To Dic.Count, 1 To 2)
    [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] k [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Dic.Keys
       c = c + 1
        ray(c, 1) = k
        ray(c, 2) = Dic(k).Count
    [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] k
Range("C1").Resize(c, 2) = ray
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses! Lots of interesting approaches. I went with Marcelos approach for ease of use and my level of understanding! It worked which is great so thanks for that! I do however have a few further questions I hope you don't mind answering!

Firstly all my data is in the tables created with the Ctrl+T option. Would I be able to use the table column references in this formula and keep the formulas updating dynamically as more data is added to the table? If not I'll just update the formula accordingly each time I add new data to it!

Secondly is the formula dependant on being in E1? I tried doing it in E2 and adjusting it accordingly however it didnt seem to work. I'm not sure if that's the reason or if i simply mistyped the formula and couldnt see the typo.

Thanks again to everyone for the responses this is a great forum and I'm glad I took the leap of signing up!

Have a great day all

Upvote 0
Firstly all my data is in the tables created with the Ctrl+T option. Would I be able to use the table column references in this formula and keep the formulas updating dynamically as more data is added to the table? If not I'll just update the formula accordingly each time I add new data to it!

Secondly is the formula dependant on being in E1? I tried doing it in E2 and adjusting it accordingly however it didnt seem to work. I'm not sure if that's the reason or if i simply mistyped the formula and couldnt see the typo.

Using a table (Table1) and inserting the first formula in E2

A
B
C
D
E
Patient​
Referral​
Referral​
Result​
Mario​
Insurer​
Clinician​
3​
Jane​
Clinician​
Insurer​
1​
Phil​
Website​
GP​
4​
Liam​
GP​
Website​
2​
David​
GP​
Alexi​
Clinician​
Rob​
Website​
Ana​
Clinician​
David​
GP​
William​
GP​
Jane​
Clinician​
Megan​
GP​
Phil​
Website​
Phil​
Website​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Array formula in E2 copied down
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Table1[Referral]=D2,MATCH(Table1[Patient],Table1[Patient],0)),ROW(Table1[Patient])-MIN(ROW(Table1[Patient]))+1),1))
Ctrl+Shift+Enter

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back