Excel Rank by group with negative numebrs

jeff106

Hi I currently have data in Excel that I'd like to rank by group but also contains negative numbers and I would like negative numbers to be ranked higher than the 0 and above values.

Here is the formula that I'm currently using - however it is ranking the negative value for group A as 1 and then 0 as 2 and 1 as rank of 3.
=IF(E3>-1,COUNTIFS(C:C, C3, E:E, "<"&E3)+COUNTIFS(C$2:C3, C3, E$2:E3, E3),"")

Ex.
Column C Column EColumn F (rank)
A-12
B52
B91
A11
A02

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'd also like to ensure there is no ties on the ranking. Previously, I was using
=SUMPRODUCT((C3=C$2:C$251)*(E3<$E$2:$E$251))+1
which ranked the negative values correctly, however the rank was tying 2 of the same number so i ended up with rank 1,2,3,4,4,6 and so on.

How can I combine the best of these two formulas to get what I'm looking for?
Thank you!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
You need something like this

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:18.06px;" /><col style="width:13.31px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:16.16px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:99.8px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >Column C</td><td > </td><td >Column E</td><td >Column F (rank)</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">-1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">5</td><td style="text-align:right; ">2</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >B</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">5</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">3</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >A</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">2</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >F3</td><td >=SUMPRODUCT((C3=C$3:C$7)*(E3>$E$3:$E$7))+COUNTIF(E3:$E$7,E3)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
You can also use the following

F3 =SUMPRODUCT((C3=C$3:C$7)*(E3>$E$3:$E$7))+COUNTIF($E$3:E3,E3)

Copy down

Upvote 0
You need something like this

ABCDEF
2 Column C Column EColumn F (rank)
3 A -11
4 B 52
5 B 51
6 A 13
7 A 12

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:18.06px;"><col style="width:13.31px;"><col style="width:76.04px;"><col style="width:16.16px;"><col style="width:76.04px;"><col style="width:99.8px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

CellFormula
F3=SUMPRODUCT((C3=C$3:C$7)*(E3>$E$3:$E$7))+COUNTIF(E3:$E$7,E3)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you for looking into this for me. However, I want the negative number to be lower/higher than the positive numbers. In your table above, A3 should be ranked 3 while A6 and A7 should be ranked 1 and 2 respectively.

Upvote 0
Thank you for looking into this for me. However, I want the negative number to be lower/higher than the positive numbers. In your table above, A3 should be ranked 3 while A6 and A7 should be ranked 1 and 2 respectively.

Change the symbol
F3 =SUMPRODUCT((C3=C$3:C$7)*(E3<$E$3:$E$7))+COUNTIF($E$3:E3,E3)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amyap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back