Offset to next non-blank cell

jkicker

Board Regular
I am trying to set my string variable fasname to equal the value of the next non-blank cell to the right of the cell that is equal to my other string variable fasacct.

Here's what I've tried:

Code:
fasname = hws.UsedRange.Find(fasacct).Offset(0, xlToRight).Value

I've tested by replacing .Offset(0, xlToRight).Value with .Address to make sure it's finding the correct starting point and up to there everything is working. But that part with xltoright is giving me object-defined error. what do i put there instead?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Try below to select the cell next to fasacct (empty cell) in the same row.

Code:
fasname = hws.UsedRange.Find(fasacct).End(xlToRight).Offset(0, 1).Address

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try below to select the cell next to fasacct (empty cell) in the same row.

Code:
fasname = hws.UsedRange.Find(fasacct).End(xlToRight).Offset(0, 1).Address

i used this instead and it worked beautifully

Code:
fasname = hws.UsedRange.Find(fasacct).End(xlToRight).Value

Upvote 0
equal the value of the next non-blank cell to the right
You need to be careful here. xlToRight might not do exactly what you think it does, so might not work in all situations for you.
xlToRight does NOT necessarily pick the next non-blank value to the right of whatever cells it is referencing.
If the cell just to the right of the current cell is blank, it WILL do this. However, there are a few situations in which it will not.
It may pick the last cell before the first blank, or the last cell on the sheet (if there are no populated cells to the right of the current cell).

Note that xlToRight is the same as the keyboard shortcut CTRL + Right Arrow. So, to see exactly how it behaves (and why it may not always work for you), try this simple exercise.
1. On a blank sheet, enter a in cells A1, B1, D1, E1, and F1
2. Select cell A1, then hit CTRL + Right Arrow. It should select cell B1, like you want.
3. Select cell B1, then hit CTRL + Right Arrow. It should select cell C1, like you want.
4. Select cell C1, then hit CTRL + Right Arrow. It should select cell D1, like you want.
5. Select cell D1, then hit CTRL + Right Arrow. Note that it selects cell F1, NOT cell E1, which I think is what you want.
6. Select cell F1, then hit CTRL + Right Arrow. Note that it will go to the last column on the sheet (XFD1 in newer versions of Excel).

So those last two examples could be problematic for you, if I am interpretting your original question properly.
See here for an explanation on exactly on xlToRight works: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/excel.range.end

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nokoloina

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back