How to extract and list unique values from a range excluding blanks and zeros

Mark McInerney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have a range of data a1:a10000.

In this range there are duplicate values, unique values, blanks and zeros. I am looking for a formula that I can copy fill from B1 that will list only unique values, whilst excluding zeros and blanks.

A1 = Book
A2 = Book
A3 =
A4 = 0
A5 = Toy
A6 = Farm
A7 = 0
A8 = Book
A9 = Toy

I want the data that extends from cell B1 to be

B1 = Book
B2 = Toy
B3 = Farm

Is there a formula that I can copy fill to give this result.

Any Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mark.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Try:

Book1
AB
1BookBook
2BookToy
3Farm
5Toy
6Farm
8Book
9Toy
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=IFERROR(INDEX(A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(A$1:A$10000)/(MATCH(A$1:A$10000,A$1:A$10000,0)=ROW(A$1:A$10000)-ROW(A$1)+1)/(A$1:A$10000<>"")/(A$1:A$10000<>0),ROWS($B$1:$B1))),"")

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to review this - works perfectly. Really appreciated.

Best - Mark.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Would it be possible to include a further check on the formula

A B
1 = Book Fiction
2 = Book Horror
3 =
4 = 0
5 = Toy Game
6 = Farm Cow
7 = 0
8 = Book Autobiography
9 = Toy ActionMan

In the formula you sent me it returns the list of unique values - it is perfect. I now want a drop down of these values, and from this it will return the unique values from the second column.

if I have drop down list in C1 which is linked to the first formula you sent me, is there a way for me to build another list (as before, unique values, excluding zeros and blanks), that fills from Cell C2.

e.g. if the value in cell C1 = Book, the values from c2 would fill like this:

A B C
1 = Book Fiction Book
2 = Book Horror Fiction
3 = Horror
4 = 0 Autobiography
5 = Toy Game
6 = Farm Cow
7 = 0
8 = Book Autobiography
9 = Toy ActionMan

Is this possible?

Upvote 0
I'm sure it's possible, but the formatting of your example makes it very difficult for me to figure out exactly what you want. Consider using the HTML Maker in my signature to make future examples to read.

Which of the 3 examples below is most like what you want?

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1Book FictionBook FictionBookBookFictionBookBookType/ItemUnique TypesBook
2Book HorrorBook HorrorFictionBookHorrorToyFictionBook FictionBookFiction
3Toy GameHorrorFarmHorrorBook HorrorToyHorror
40Farm CowAutobiography0AutobiographyFarmAutobiography
5Toy GameBook AutobiographyToyGame0
6Farm CowToy ActionmanFarmCowToy Game
700Farm Cow
8Book AutobiographyBookAutobiography0
9Toy ActionmanToyActionmanBook Autobiography
10Toy Actionman
Sheet4

The A:C example has a list of your items in A, the B column has a unique list of the items, C1 would have a dropdown containing Book,Toy,Farm, and the C2:C4 list would list the items that start with what's in C1. How you generate the list in C1 is undetermined at this point.

Example 2 has the category in column E and the specific item in column F. We use the unique formula in column G to get a list of categories. H1 uses that list in the dropdown. Then H2 lists the individual items starting with H1.

Example 3 has the combined category/item list like example 1. I use a somewhat different unique formula in K2:K4 to get a list of categories, by which I mean, the first word of each cell in J2:J10. The headers in J1:K1 would be required in this case. Then the L1 dropdown uses the K2:K4 list as a source, and the L2:L4 list is generated like example 2.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it's possible, but the formatting of your example makes it very difficult for me to figure out exactly what you want. Consider using the HTML Maker in my signature to make future examples to read.

Which of the 3 examples below is most like what you want?

ABCDEFGHIJKL
1Book FictionBook FictionBookBookFictionBookBookType/ItemUnique TypesBook
2Book HorrorBook HorrorFictionBookHorrorToyFictionBook FictionBookFiction
3Toy GameHorrorFarmHorrorBook HorrorToyHorror
40Farm CowAutobiography0AutobiographyFarmAutobiography
5Toy GameBook AutobiographyToyGame0
6Farm CowToy ActionmanFarmCowToy Game
700Farm Cow
8Book AutobiographyBookAutobiography0
9Toy ActionmanToyActionmanBook Autobiography
10Toy Actionman

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet4

The A:C example has a list of your items in A, the B column has a unique list of the items, C1 would have a dropdown containing Book,Toy,Farm, and the C2:C4 list would list the items that start with what's in C1. How you generate the list in C1 is undetermined at this point.

Example 2 has the category in column E and the specific item in column F. We use the unique formula in column G to get a list of categories. H1 uses that list in the dropdown. Then H2 lists the individual items starting with H1.

Example 3 has the combined category/item list like example 1. I use a somewhat different unique formula in K2:K4 to get a list of categories, by which I mean, the first word of each cell in J2:J10. The headers in J1:K1 would be required in this case. Then the L1 dropdown uses the K2:K4 list as a source, and the L2:L4 list is generated like example 2.

Hi Eric,

Example 3 is the one that I need - apologies for making this harder than it already is.

Thanks again for taking the time to review this - appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Just to make sure we are on the same page - the type/item that you have in example 3 appears to have the values in the one cell - column J. My data would have a separate column for the "type" and another one for the "Item". the previous formula you sent me works perfectly for extracting the unique "types". I now need to be able to select from a drop down list, any of these "types", which I can manage, and i need to extract the unique "items" that are linked to that "type".

Upvote 0
That seems to be closer to my example 2. I'll write something up shortly.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

You're right - you are now demonstrating that you have a better understanding of my query than I do - apologies.

Thanks again - Mark.

Upvote 0
OK, try this:

Book1
ABCD
1BookFictionBookBook
2BookHorrorToyFiction
3FarmHorror
40Autobiography
5ToyGame
6FarmCow
8BookAutobiography
9ToyActionman
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1=IFERROR(INDEX(A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(A$1:A$10000)/(MATCH(A$1:A$10000,A$1:A$10000,0)=ROW(A$1:A$10000)-ROW(A$1)+1)/(A$1:A$10000<>"")/(A$1:A$10000<>0),ROWS($C$1:$C1))),"")
D2=IFERROR(INDEX(B:B,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(B$1:B$10000)/(A$1:A$10000=$D$1),ROWS($D$2:$D2))),"")

Incidentally, the formula I used in the Data Validation rule in D1 is:

=OFFSET(C1,0,0,SUMPRODUCT(--(C1:C10000<>"")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back