Override conditional formatting

generalgort

Hi All,

My first post here, I am a bit of a novice at excel and a complete novice at VB and VBA so be patient with me.

It seems a relatively simple problem, but I can't seem to find an answer.

I am using Excel 2002 on XP with SP3.

I have a large spreadsheet that for ease of reading I have shaded alternate rows using conditional formatting. OK so far, I have three columns that I want to have this shading until a 'tick' is entered in a cell in those columns then a colour is displayed. I am using the 'tick' character in 'Wingdings' font from the character map which I copy and paste.

As I said it seems a relatively simple problem, but at the moment the solution eludes me, can anybody help please?

Phil

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
You would need to test for that value in your CF formula, if you use WEbdings and the letter a that makes the test simple.

Upvote 0
But remember to test it as the first condition as conditional formatting will stop testing once a TRUE criterium as been met.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply xld & Magriza,

Do you mean use an 'IF' statement, I tried using:

=IF(C5="",(MOD(ROW(),2)=0),0)

as Condition 1 and:

=IF(C5<>"",(MOD(ROW(),2)=0),0)

for Condition 2, where C5 is the first cell that I want to change to a colour when a 'tick' is entered, when I 'fill down' it works OK but only for the shaded cells and not for the unshaded ones, wher am I going wrong?

Phil.

Upvote 0
Hi xld,

At the risk of showing how little I understand about excel functions, could you please explain how this function works and how I get the cell to change colour, I have tried inserting it in the conditional formatting and it results in C5 changing from white to shaded and C6 changing from shaded to white etc. if I enter data into the cells then the cells all become shaded, the format colour in the conditional formatting. I would like the colour to be different for each of the three columns, ie, yellow, green, & red and different from the shading, pale blue.

(I don't think it was so much a risk as a certainty)

Phil.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back