Linking to other worksheets and replacing

sam_1

Hi,
I have a master workbook that contains links to a bunch of other workbooks. Primarily, I am just linking to the data themselves, which are numeric. My links currently look like =[source_file.xls]sheetname!A5
I would like to do a few different things here:
1) incorporate replacing in this formula so that, for instance, if the source cell has a value of "." (the whole cell), then replace it with a blank "" in the master workbook. Also, if there is no data in the source cell, I want it also to be a "" in the master (currently under the formula it shows up as zero).
2) The first is more important, but if possible, it would be good to have some variable for the source workbook name. For instance, I have master1 (the master workbook) that has links to workbooks source1a through source1z, and I eventually need to have in addition master workbooks master2 thorugh master5, with links to source2a-source2z, ..., source5a-source5z (the indices are not numeric 1-5, by the way, they will just be strings). The master workbooks are large so I'd rather not do a whole lot of manual work. Solving the first would help lessen the work for the second problem.
Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Use this formula to return blanks if cell is blank or contains only a period:
=IF([source_file.xls]sheetname!A5="","",IF([source_file.xls]sheetname!A5=".",""[source_file.xls]sheetname!A5))

I'm not sure what you're asking in item 2.

Upvote 0
Great thanks I think that solved my problem. Forget about the second thing, I think I was getting confused, it doesn't really make sense anyways.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back