Translate index/match function to vba code

vbahelp123

Hello i need a little help here.

how do i translate this to a vba code?

=INDEX('Workers List'!D3:D13,MATCH('Workers List'!C4,'Workers List'!C3:C13,0),1)

what i have done is

test = Application.Index(Sheets("Workers List").Range("C3;C13"), Application.Match(1, Sheets("Workers List").Range("D3:D13"), 0), 1)

But i keep getting an error, may i know whats wrong with it?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Re: need help to translate index/match function to vba code

Try:

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]test = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("Workers List").Range("C3:C13"), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(1, Sheets("Workers List").Range("D3:D13"), 0), 1)

Let us know if this helps.[/COLOR]

Upvote 0

You're welcome. Always remember that if you're using a built-in Excel formula in your VBA to use Application.WorksheetFunction.[built-in function here]. That's what you forgot in your code (you were just using Application).

Cheers, mate.

Upvote 0

alright thanks a lot! i will remember that.

another question, lets say if i am to create a for loop for this. how do i change the cell referencing part (the one in bold at the bottom)?

TotalCost = 0

For i = 4 To LR Step 1
'TotalCost = TotalCost + Cells(i, col).Value * Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("Workers List").Range("C3:C" & Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Sheets("Workers List").cells(i,3), Sheets("Workers List").Range("D3:D13" & Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row), 0), 1)
Next i

Upvote 0

How would the code be adjusted to allow for no match being found? Right now it just errors out.

Code:
SAP = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("Roster").Range("A2:A" & Rosterrows), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Sheets("W4").Range("B" & y), Sheets("Roster").Range("D2:D" & Rosterrows), 0), 1)

Upvote 0

Hi,
I'm trying to adjust my own index match formula into VBA as per JMonty's example above but I cannot seem to get it to work...

Here is the formula i want to convert
Code:
 =INDEX('CMRS Submission Report'!C:C,MATCH('Latest Trades'!A2&'Latest Trades'!E2&"NACK RECEIVED",'CMRS Submission Report'!D:D&'CMRS Submission Report'!F:F&'CMRS Submission Report'!G:G,0))

And here is what i have so far, but it is working.
Code:
 test = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("CMRS Submission Report").Range("C:C"), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(1, Sheets("Latest Trades").Range("A:A") & Sheets("Latest Trades").Range("E:E") &"NACK RECEIVED", Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(1, Sheets("CMRS Submission Report").Range("D:D")&Sheets("CMRS Submission Report").Range("F:F")&Sheets("CMRS Submission Report").Range("G:G"),0),1)

Thanks

Upvote 0

I am not seeing replies to the latest questions on this thread related to looping through a set of cells with the index/match vba code. Could someone post some code that would show how you would do the following?

Sheet1, Column A includes a number of items (J) that you want to do an Index/Match on items (I) from Sheet2, Columns A and B but I > J. Column A from each sheet has the matching information and you want to return the results from Column

Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0

Code:
Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("Data_Base").Range("H2:H65000"), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("A1"), Sheets("Datae_Base").Range("A2:A65000"), 0), 1)

Is something wrong with this code?

Upvote 0

Can you help me with the same issue, here is the information:

PeriodStart = Cells(3, 2)
InstName = Cells(1, 2)

Set sht = Sheets("Timesheet_Data")
Set pasteSht = Sheets("Time Sheet")
Worksheets("Timesheet_Data").Visible = True
Application.GoTo Reference:=Worksheets("Timesheet_Data").Cells(1, 1)
exist = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(sht.Range("A:B")),Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(1,((sht.Range("A:A")=(pasteSht.PeriodStart))*(sht.Range("B:B")=(pasteSht.InsName))),0),1)
'exist = Application.Application.Match(PeriodStart, sht.Range("A:A"), 0)
Set allData = Worksheets("Timesheet_data").Range("A:A")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back