psycoperl

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
Hi all I am developing an application using MS Access 2010. We have our database and forms in two different files, they are both stored on our network drive.

When our users are trying to open a form to enter data (NOT make any modifications to the forms), they periodically get "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later."

How can I resolve this and prevent it from happening? It happens if they are opening the same form or different forms.

Thanks

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
It sounds like you are one step away from fixing it. You reference that you have your data and forms in two different files meaning the database is split. Good.

It also sounds like both these files are placed on a shared network drive to use. Not as good.

Better (and to solve your error) would be to have the back end of the db on the network drive and the front end loaded up onto each individuals workstation. Each user will have their own interface and should solve the error you are receiving.

Unless there is some other underlying error, I would assume this is the problem.

Upvote 0
Is there an easy way to "Push" any updates to the front end database to each of the users or ensure that they are using the most recent version? As we roll out our application and expand the featureset that we are implementing, I would like to be able to ensure that the users in our office are using the same (most recent version) with the least amount of difficulty as each user can work at multiple machines depending on staffing and location.

Upvote 0
There are a probably a few different ways to do this. One would be to load up a .bak file (I think that is the right thing) to each computer that would automatically check for the latest version from a folder on ther server. I am very unfamiliar with how to do this, although a bit of research could probably help you out.

A way that I have been thinking of doing in theory (haven't implemented yet) is to have a table with version info on the back end and then a table on the front end that contains current version info (some might say this defeats the purpose of the split db, but it is only one table with one piece of info). If the version numbers do not match up, then when any form loads (based off off some VBA) I would hide all the controls and populate a mesage specifying they need to d/l the latest version from the server.

This last example is all in theory so I am not sure if it would work or not, but in my mind I don't see problems. I don't have IT access to the network which is why solution 1 wouldn't work for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back