Question...

minervaink

Hi! I am brandy new here and am hoping that someone may be able to help me!

My Dad asked me to create him an access database to use in the warehouse to track inventory. I have a table (FP) that he will input ticket #, item #, description, location, quantity, date rec, shipped (yes or no), date shipped and remarks.

Here comes my problem... Once the item has been checked "shipped" he wants it removed from that table and moved to another table - shipped.

How in the world do I get the whole thing to move from the FP table to the shipped table once selected and what do I need to create the shipped table?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!
Athena

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I would not move it to another table. Just have a flag (yes/no field) which you can set to SHIPPED and then when you want to have things not show up that have been shipped, you use a QUERY as the recordsource for your forms, reports, etc. which then have FALSE as the criteria on the SHIPPED field. Then they won't show up. But it will make life so much simpler in the long run. (this is from 15 years of Access experience talking :))

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

You could do that through a series of Append and Delete Queries, but there is really no need to do that. They can all be housed in one table. Just use queries that use your "shipped" yes/no field as its Criteria. You could have one query that shows all the unshipped ones (shipped="No") and another that shows all the shipped ones (shipped="Yes").

I really don't see any advantage to having two tables and moving them. As matter as fact, that can be dangerous. If one part of your Append/Delete doesn't work (or the timing isn't just right), you could end up with the record on both sides, or deleted from both! If you present all the data in queries, forms, or reports, it makes no difference whether tables or queries are the data source. So the end user really has no concern for how the data is stored.

Upvote 0
In the 5 minutes it takes this slow typist to type, I see that Bob replied too. Notice we both recommend the same thing!:)

Upvote 0
Thank you Bob and Joe, what you suggest sounds great to me!

There is just one little problem... I have absolutely no idea how to get a query! I have no experience with Access... It's pretty amazing that I got as far as I did!

How would I step by step go about doing that?? I'm very sorry to have to ask for a breakdown!

Thank you again!
Athena

Upvote 0
Alright so instead of being lazy I searched for how to create them and found that I would need a simple select query since it is only one table... I added all the fields I wanted to show up and hid the shipped field and used "yes" as my criteria and saved it and ran it. I then created another for not shipped so he will have both shipped and not! I cannot express my gratitude for getting me in the correct place for this thing!

Thank you again!

Athena

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back