Best Access book for beginner

crobaseball

Board Regular
Hello,

I'm fairly Excel savvy and gen tech savvy and am looking for a solid Access "manual" to go through. I have "The Missing Manual" O'Reilly puts out and am not happy. I used their version of Excel ages ago, and it was solid, but the one from Access has had some errors/refers to some things prev which it says it explained but didn't.

Anyone who is now a mid-range Access person who started with a book they look back on and think it did a good job?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Not a book, but this is where I started, it helped a lot

SQL Tutorial

crobaseball The website that Redwolfx posted is a good start but the SQL does not transfer directly over to MSACCESS SQL. MSACCESS is JET-SQL and what is on the website is for SQL Server or T-SQL.

I'm would actually love a book that provides syntax and examples for JET-SQL as well as VBA that works just with MSACCESS. I cannot find any books. I use the MSACCESS forums but it is very slow learning and can get frustrating because any response you get on your question is not complete or provides enough detail.

If you find something please let me know. Thanks

Upvote 0
IMHO you can get a whole lot out of just two books:

Learn to use Access:
Microsoft Access 2003 Forms, Reports, and Queries by Paul McFredries

Learn to program Access VBA:
Automating Microsoft Access with VBA by Gunderloy and Harkins

This assumes you know SQL :) If you don't know SQL, get a SQL book too. There are many good ones. For a "wordy" introduction that lives up to its name (explains a lot in laymen's terms) you can try SQL For Mere Mortals and/or Database Design for Mere Mortals, both by Michael Hernandez. A more concise treatment is in Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes by Ben Forta, and a more classical text is Learning SQL by Beaulieu.

My knowledge of Access is out of date, though - I'm basically an Access 2003 developer (though I happen to use Access 2007 in actual fact). I haven't found any reason to get excited about the latest features in Access 2010 and 2013, at least not yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
crobaseball The website that Redwolfx posted is a good start but the SQL does not transfer directly over to MSACCESS SQL. MSACCESS is JET-SQL and what is on the website is for SQL Server or T-SQL.

I'm would actually love a book that provides syntax and examples for JET-SQL as well as VBA that works just with MSACCESS. I cannot find any books. I use the MSACCESS forums but it is very slow learning and can get frustrating because any response you get on your question is not complete or provides enough detail.

I'll look. As mentioned in my post, I have something which is intro Access, with intro VBA. And it's ok. The same author did the Excel manual, and it's much better.

Upvote 0
IMHO you can get a whole lot out of just two books:

Learn to use Access:
Microsoft Access 2003 Forms, Reports, and Queries by Paul McFredries

Learn to program Access VBA:
Automating Microsoft Access with VBA by Gunderloy and Harkins

This assumes you know SQL :) If you don't know SQL, get a SQL book too. There are many good ones. For a "wordy" introduction that lives up to its name (explains a lot in laymen's terms) you can try SQL For Mere Mortals and/or Database Design for Mere Mortals, both by Michael Hernandez. A more concise treatment is in Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes by Ben Forta, and a more classical text is Learning SQL by Beaulieu.

My knowledge of Access is out of date, though - I'm basically an Access 2003 developer (though I happen to use Access 2007 in actual fact). I haven't found any reason to get excited about the latest features in Access 2010 and 2013, at least not yet.

I'll take a look at them. ty!!!

Upvote 0

99% of the sql in that tutorial will work just fine in Access
even the "create index" section
and where there are differences the site is pretty good about pointing them out --- see the section on autoincrement
SQL AUTO INCREMENT a Field

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back