Power Pivot Lookup Duplicate Values

prihle

Hi,
I am using Excel 2010 with PowerPivot add-in, very much a newbie in Power Pivots.
I have a set of shipment data compiled from various sources. They have to be cleaned and grouped into lanes.
For the purpose of cleaning the origin and destination points I have a list of all variations of locations (country, city, zip code) as it exists in the source data (table Locations).

Task:
I need to assign correct zip codes to the cities in the Locations table using a zip code database for Europe stored in Power Pivots (table GEO-Europe).
So, I have two tables in the Power Pivots with the following relevant columns (named same in both tables): Country (cntry codes), PostalCode, Locality (containing the city).
1. Locations table – where I need to fill in the zip codes
2. GEO-Europe table – table to lookup the zip codes

I need a solution that would filter the GEO-Europe table and return a PostalCode based on matching Country and City in the Locations table (the filter will most likely return multiple rows, I`m happy if it can return any PostalCode matching the above criteria)

I have actually already done a big part of it on standard Excel sheet (breaking up the zip database into files by country) but it was not very efficient (too complex and time consuming). If it could help give you a better picture I used the following formula:
=VLOOKUP(G2,OFFSET(WE1_CityOffset,MATCH(H2,WE1_CntryCount,0)-1,0,COUNTIF(WE1_CntryCount,H2),2),2,FALSE)
G2 – Locality (Locations)
H2 – Country (Locations)
WE1_CityOffset – Locality (GEO-Europe $O$1)
WE1_CntryCount – Country (GEO-Europe)
Note: Same layout as the tables in the attached file

I wrote this post assuming that I would attach sample data but I cannot see where to upload it. Hopefully my description will be clear enough even without the sample.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any help you can offer.
Regards,
Lenka

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Actually I think a sample would totally help :) Drop one on OneDrive,GoogleDrive,DropBox,etc?

Upvote 0
well, I can give you a formula that works, but I can't help w/ the quality of your data...

I added a calc column to the Locations table, which looked up values in GEO-Europe but the majority of cities were not there...

=CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('GEO-Europe'[PostalCode], 1), FILTER('GEO-Europe', 'GEO-Europe'[Country] = Locations[Country] && 'GEO-Europe'[Locality] = Locations[Locality]))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back