another user cannot filter pivot from power query

cheesywotsit

i'm new to power query and the forum so forgive me for my noob question. i did a search but couldn't find anything.
im using windows 10 64bit, excel 2016 business edition.

so here's my problem...

• i have a "database" workbook which stores all the raw data that i want power query to aggregate together. it's about 20mb.
  • in another workbook called "dashboard", the power query calling data from "database" is connected.
  • the "dashboard" file has a pivot table with slicers, etc for a management overview. this file is light - only 1mb which is suitable for sending in an e-mail.

I noticed that external users (not connected to the "database" file) can't use the pivot table filters in the "dashboard" file. i already went to the options to turn off automatic updating but it didn't help.

is there a way to fix this or does the other users have to be connected to the database file?

thanks!

haha. cool blog matt. didn't notice it was the same website.

i tested the first problem i had with several computers around the office. these external users don't have power pivot installed on their computer. but i couldn't get the filters to work. i definitely setup my pivot table the way you described in your blog post (using the query table as the source of my pivot table).

so i thought setting up the external user with the source file (dynamic path) would solve it.

but if there is a solution for the first problem with the filters, that would be better :) i looked for a solution but there doesn't seem to be any articles about it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Not the same website, just the same author.

I am am running out of ideas without seeing the files. Can you reproduce the problem with some non sensitive sample files and post the source and report?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back