2 Lookups with date logic

wiwchar

Board Regular
Good day,

I have a workbook where one of the tabs contains tables that feed the lookup on other tabs. The situation that I need assistance with relates to the supervisor of an employee for tracking and statistics. Until recently, the table had the employee name, employee number and name of their supervisor. With this, it was very easy to just use VLOOKUP to populate the other tabs as required. Now, I need to add another field that shows the date effective for a change of supervisor of the employee. I still need to have the previous supervisor listed to track activity under that previous supervisor.

What I am after is assistance with looking for is to take the name of the employee on Tab #1 and the date of the activity. Then go to the tab with all the information, look for the employee name and then choose the supervisor for that employee on the date from Tab #1 .

Example:

Joe Smith started a project on June 6, 2017. This is the information on Tab #1 . On the tab with the supervisory information, it shows that as of January 1, 2000 Joe Smith reported to Sam Brown and then as of July 15, 2016 he reported to Kris Silver. The field to be populated in Tab #1 should display Kris Silver. Joe Smith also has another entry on Tab #1 where this project started on May 1, 2016. This time, the supervisor information that will populate in Tab #1 would be Same Brown.

Any solutions to share?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back