A question about excel .xla , ado and vb.net

Caretaker

In the simplest terms I can relate, here's my problem... where I work we use a data collection system that is accessed through an xla. If that xla doesn't run, we can't get to the data. I am trying to build an application that will "hide" the excel instance running, but still be able to change a time field in order to update the data that is available for view.
IF the xl file that sets the array formulas etc to get the data is opened as a data source (ADO) - will the XLA be running in the background???

I have been warned not to rely on using DSOframer due to issues with it, though I have been able to go that route in some of my explorations.

If there is a better way to allow VB.Net 2010 to automate excel, and have excel do its thing in the background, that would be awesome.
I am pulling the data out of excel to store in a data base, but if the available data can't be updated without contortions, it may be a nogo.

Thanks for help in advance.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back