A Range that'll Change

pwillia

Hello everybody,

Here is my original code, which goes down column F, from F4 on-wards. It averages 5 cells at a time, the result of which it places in column G, from G4 on-wards.
It uses relative values, so cell G14 will have the value of F14:18/5 and so on.

Code:
Range("g4", "g250").Formula = "=SUM(F4:F8)/5"

I have tested this with a fixed amount of data up to cell F255, meaning the formula can only calculate up to G250 as it needs the 5 cells below it in the F column to calculate a corresponding G value- and it has worked fine.

I would now like to apply the above formula to variable amounts of data, meaning that the F column's data will vary in length.

The G column needs to calculate for how ever much data there is in the F column minus 5 cells.

So if the F column populates from F4:F1000, I would need the G column to produce calculations in the range G4:G995.

So how can I make this formula work for variable amounts of data?

My thoughts so far have been to use an "xldown" function to select how many cells have data in column F (which will always hold contiguous data), thus stopping when there is an empty cell below. Then to deduct 5 from that value, and use "cell.offset" to place the end of the G range in the formula. Am I thinking about this correctly or is this fundamentally incorrect?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I would like to thank you for your time in reading my question.

Pete.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Pete

Try this.
Code:
LastRow = Range("F" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row-3

Range("G4:G" & LastRow).Formula = "=SUM(F4:F8)/5"
Note, this would go down to 997 if the last row in F is 1000, the formula in G996 would b =SUM(F997:F1000)/5,

Upvote 0
Pete

Try this.
Code:
LastRow = Range("F" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row-3

Range("G4:G" & LastRow).Formula = "=SUM(F4:F8)/5"
Note, this would go down to 997 if the last row in F is 1000, the formula in G996 would b =SUM(F997:F1000)/5,

Wow, that was quick!
Yes, I have changed that slightly to Row-4, giving me the selection of 5 cells I needed. Also I realised I wrote that I need the 5 cells below G, when in fact I needed 1 cell adjacent and 4 below (in F column), so my code renders:

G996 =SUM(F996:F1000)/5

Thank you so much, it works perfectly! When I read it, it makes perfect sense, I just didn't have enough experience to put it together.

Thanks again Norie I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back