A1=3240=0???

yky

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
In C1, there is this formula "=A1+A9+A17+A25....." and the cell displays a big zero. I can see that A1 is 3240. So is A9, A17, A25, etc. In D1, I enter this formula "=A1" and the result is another zero. If I copy A1 and paste to E1, the result is 3240. If I enter "=E1" in F1, the result is 0.

summary: Copy A1 to E1, result: 3240; enter "=E1" in F1, result: 0, enter in D1 "=A1", result: 0;A1 is 3240.

This is not number formatting problem. I cleared all formats and got the same result. If I set the cells to display one decimal, I got 0.0 and 3240.0.

What's going on?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi, do you have any circular reference errors?

Upvote 0
Good question. I had been getting circular reference error (when opening the file) for a while until, maybe, yesterday. Now, I don't get the circular error message. Not sure why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you've not taken any steps to remove it then it's probably still hanging around. Do you see a "Circular References" message in the bottom left hand side of the status bar?

Upvote 0
Oh! It's too late. Once you pointed out that the problem might be due to circular reference error, I immediately copied the area where circular formula existed and pasted by value back to the same area so to get rid of circular formulae. The formula I mentioned in the original posting then worked, giving the correct results.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sameri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back