Academic challenge for advanced-users

BrooksTech

Board Regular
Heres an academic challenge. Unfortunately there's no prize other than Kudos and receiving credit for answering the challenge correctly:

1. CREATE A SPREADSHEET THAT WILL ANSWER THE FOLLOWING:

Youre trying to buy an item at a Vending Machine that costs 95 cents. The machine requires EXACT CHANGE ONLY. You do NOT have exact change and the change you have adds up to $1.15 (too much.)

Q. WHAT ARE THE NUMBER AND DENOMINATIONS OF COINS THAT YOU HAVE THAT RENDER $1.15 BUT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET 95-CENTS FROM?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

(This challenge was originally introduced by CarTalk on 12/24) Good Luck!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
A 96 cent piece and a 19 cent piece.

Upvote 0
CORRECTION AND LINK Re: Academic challenge for advanced-users

Sorry folks, I left out a bunch of key facts. YOU HAVE =SIX= COINS that total $1.15. Your spreadsheet will show (numerous) computations but highlights six coins/denominations that add up to $1.15 but NOT $.95.

ALSO, YOU CANNOT MAKE CHANGE FOR $1.00, $.50, OR $.25 CENTS.

And to further make it difficult, NO, you cannot adjust the numbers of denominations in your spreadsheet manually. That would basically be cheating and virtually eliminate the need for a spreadsheet.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/no-change-ray-0?question

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: CORRECTION AND LINK Re: Academic challenge for advanced-users

Sorry folks, I left out a key fact. YOU HAVE =SIX= COINS that total $1.15. Your spreadsheet will show (numerous) computations but highlights six coins/denominations that add up to $1.15 but NOT $.95. And to further clarify, NO, you cannot adjust the numbers of denominations in your spreadsheet manually.

Does it include 50-cent pieces and dollar coins?

Upvote 0

Thought there might be a hitch.:)

Any specifications for denominations and currency?:)

Upvote 0

Sorry folks, I left out a bunch of key facts. YOU HAVE =SIX= COINS that total $1.15. Your spreadsheet will show (numerous) computations but highlights six coins/denominations that add up to $1.15 but NOT $.95.

ALSO, YOU CANNOT MAKE CHANGE FOR $1.00, $.50, OR $.25 CENTS.

And to further make it difficult, NO, you cannot adjust the numbers of denominations in your spreadsheet manually. That would basically be cheating and virtually eliminate the need for a spreadsheet.

If I understand this correctly - if you can't make change for $1.00, $.50, OR $.25 cents, that means you can't have any quarters, half-dollars, or dollar coins. Is that right?

Upvote 0
Ok, never mind. My mind was on stupid mode. I got it now. The guy has a half-dollar, a quarter, and four dimes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back