towners

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Appreciate any thoughts on this...

I have an Access query that populates an Excel spreadsheet using external data connection. I use this method a lot and am a little stumped with this problem.

The Access query contains a number of fields that total up the sum of other fields in the dataset, when viewed within the query results (in Access) the total fields calculate correctly, however when I refresh the data from Excel the total fields are populated with zero's... All other fields are ok.

Obviously it's something with the total fields but I can't work out what.

Any help gratefully received.

Paul

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Would it be possible to see the query?

Are the totals > 1? Could it be a cell formatting issue or are you examining the cell contents?

I don't query Access. Are you using the "From Access" or "From Other Source"?

Just hoping I can poke something that will cause you to figure it out :) Or moving the question back up the list where somebody will see it.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the response.

I'm not sure how I can show you the whole query, it's quite large and compiles data from many other tables to create a single normalised data set. The field that causes me the problem is a simple total:

PayableServiceTotalCost: [PayableServiceAccomCost]+[PayableServiceEquipmentCost]+[PayableServiceFieldManagerCost]+[PayableServiceFreightCost]+[PayableServiceLabourElectricsCost]+[PayableServiceLabourInstallerCost]+[PayableServiceMaterialsCost]+[PayableServiceOtherCost]+[PayableServiceSurveyCost]+[PayableServiceTravelCost]

The values for each of the individual summed fields are taken from a joined table and replaced with zero if the field is null.

Upvote 0
Obviously if all the fields are costs it is REALLY unlikely that everything is a 0 or very small (E-05) number. So it should not be a number formatting issue.

Is it a stored query in access? If not can you copy the text of the query from Excel and make a new query in Access and paste in the SQL to see if there might be some small issue with a join or parameter that is messing up the result?

I pull back data from multiple databases all the time and every issue has come to an error in the query someplace.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back