ActiveX buttons stoped working

wagmanm

Board Regular
I was working on a Sheet and my buttons would no longer let me click them to allow the code to run. I tried to hit the start button in the code window and nothing. I reverted to old saved files and still the buttons will not work. I quit excel and have restarted my computer but none of my spreadsheets with ActiveX buttons will work. I also am unable to add a new ActiveX button as I get a Message Can not insert Object.

Does anyone know what I could have done? Or how I can fix this?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Yes, I had the same issue with ActiveX buttons. This is due to a recent Windows Update. Please close all Office programs, then search your computer for *.EXD files (not .exe!!). Once you find these TEMP files, delete them. Then try opening Excel again. If that doesn't fix it, make sure your search includes hidden files and folders.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having this issue? I found a thread from today with other people having the exact same complaint!

In my company we have several PCs running Windows8.1 with either Office 2010 or 2013.

We use multiple Excel files with ActiveX buttons on the spreadsheet to activate Macros that mainly import data from .txt files.
Without any major problems with our current setup(all day, daily, for approx 6 months now)

Today, one of the PCs (W8.1, Excel2013) suddenly did not recognize the ActiveX buttons on the spreadsheet as buttons. I just can't click on them anymore, they seem frozen.
The macro itself that the button is linked to, works.
If I try to add an ActiveX CommandButton, I get an error:
"Cannot insert Object".
However, the FormButtons still work, and I can add more of them.
This problem occurs with any excel file. That is the case even when I make a completely new book.

I tried setting the Macro and ActiveX safety settings to the lowest in [File-Option-Security Center Settings-(ActiveX/Macro Settings)]
But no change.
I am not in Design mode. (If I go into design mode, I can select the buttons, and with a double click I can open the Code editor. However, the cursor does not jump to the part of the code it should jump to, and I can also not see the properties with a right click on the button -it shows the properties of the sheet instead)

A few hours later, the next PC (W8.1, Excel2010) stopped working. Exactly the same issue. And this PC did not open a file the first PC had opened or created...

2 out of 5 PCs stopped working, the last 3 still work.
I tried reproducing the problem with one of the working PCs, but I couldn't.

I couldn't find a thread anywhere with someone having the same issue, so I made one myself.
Do you have any suggestions????

It's frustrating me...
frown.gif

Thank you so much for your help!

I'm having the same issue. I think it's related to the Microsoft patches last night. Have every user in my firm unable to use their buttons in Excel. An easy test is to start a new workbook, then click Insert on the Developer tab, choose the button control under ActiveX controls, and try and draw it on the sheet. Get the error "Cannot insert object" immediately. This is really really bad. Our whole firm is unable to use their programmatic worksheets.

Thanks Microsoft!

Anyone have a fix?

Upvote 0
I was working on a Sheet and my buttons would no longer let me click them to allow the code to run. I tried to hit the start button in the code window and nothing. I reverted to old saved files and still the buttons will not work. I quit excel and have restarted my computer but none of my spreadsheets with ActiveX buttons will work. I also am unable to add a new ActiveX button as I get a Message Can not insert Object.

Does anyone know what I could have done? Or how I can fix this?

Thanks
I temporarily 'fixed' my same issue by uninstalling a few Office/Excel updates I applied yesterday, I didn't uninstall all of them, I uninstalled a couple at a time and my controls started working again.
I wish I could tell you exactly which update it was specifically, but I can't at this time. I only uninstalled about 6-8 of them, then after a reboot, it wanted to update 19 updates.
It was probably a security setting that got reset or at least I'm hoping that is all it will be.
I'm hoping the Excel pro's around here end up with the proper solution rather than my temp one.

Upvote 0
Shiftdelete 's method worked for me! Is that a permanent fix? I saved the file in a new folder just in case.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
It's permanent until the next Office patch that messes with the controls. The .exd files are temporary files that are created when you insert ActiveX controls onto worksheets. It's the first thing I clear out when controls start misbehaving.

Upvote 0
Removing temp files '*.exd' fix confirmed here also, after reinstalling all Office related updates just now and deleting said files, my controls are working again.
Thank you for solution, ...I knew it was just a matter of time before the 'only' resource for Excel related solutions would provide the best solution.

Kudos.

Upvote 0
I found no '*.exd' files, so I tried removed security update 2726958 and it now works fine. I don't like doing this, but I have no alternative.
I have Win 7 Pro/SP1 64-bit and use MS Office Pro 2013

Upvote 0
try searching specifically for "MSForms.exd" (include hidden files and folders)--- It should be in a path like: AppData\Local\Temp\..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wayneho98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back