ActiveX buttons stoped working

wagmanm

Board Regular
I was working on a Sheet and my buttons would no longer let me click them to allow the code to run. I tried to hit the start button in the code window and nothing. I reverted to old saved files and still the buttons will not work. I quit excel and have restarted my computer but none of my spreadsheets with ActiveX buttons will work. I also am unable to add a new ActiveX button as I get a Message Can not insert Object.

Does anyone know what I could have done? Or how I can fix this?

Thanks

FYI, I do believe it's the temp file(s) created by the latest windows updates causing the problem.
For those who may not know how to manually find the *.exd file and delete it, you can just run your system cleaning program and let it do it's thing.
I use CCleaner, but basically, any similar program should do the job, but not sure about the native windows Disk Cleanup.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
i followed shiftdelete's method and it worked for me. I discovered it when I couldn't insert an ActiveX control on a worksheet that had two of them that worked before. Thanks Microsoft!

Upvote 0
Deleting the hidden "MSForms.exd" solved here too.

Win 8.1 (pt-br), Excel 2013 professional edition.

I found 2 instances of the file.

C:\Users\MYUSERNAME<myuser>\AppData\<wbr>Local\Temp\VBE</myuser>
C:\Users\MYUSERNAME
\AppData\Local\Temp\<wbr>Excel8.0

thanks for the tip, shiftdelete. I was REALLY worried.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the solution guys
hunted down "MSForms.exd" and hit the delete key.
problem solved

Upvote 0
Re: ActiveX buttons stoped working <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< PROBLEM SOLVED

I have Windows 8 running Office 2007. I could not find "MSForms.exd". But I ran free version of CCleaner (which empties temp locations), after I checked the advance settings to make sure "only delete if older than 24hrs" was SWITCHED OFF, and...

PROBLEM SOLVED ! ! !

I use the free AI List (Action Item List) from ExcelAutomationHelp.com ...Engineers Creating Solutions in Excel | Rochester NY | Excel and Database Software Automation | Free AI List Excel File daily, it it wouldn't group-sort until I fixed this. Made me realize how awesome group-sort is.

Upvote 0
I am able to find the file MSForms.exd and delete it. The problem is, when I open up excel again the file is back in the temp folder. Is there any way to make sure the file is not able to be recreated? As in, every time I reopen excel, the MSForms.exd file is back in the Temp folder. How do i prevent that from happening?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: ActiveX buttons stoped working <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< PROBLEM SOLVED

OMG! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH for all your time! Great Job! Had same problem and panicked, but I knew where to go for help as always.
Muchas Gracias from Costa Rica!!!! Have a great day!

Upvote 0
I am able to find the file MSForms.exd and delete it. The problem is, when I open up excel again the file is back in the temp folder. Is there any way to make sure the file is not able to be recreated? As in, every time I reopen excel, the MSForms.exd file is back in the Temp folder. How do i prevent that from happening?

It's supposed to get recreated. Are you still having the problem?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back