ActiveX buttons stoped working

wagmanm

Board Regular
I was working on a Sheet and my buttons would no longer let me click them to allow the code to run. I tried to hit the start button in the code window and nothing. I reverted to old saved files and still the buttons will not work. I quit excel and have restarted my computer but none of my spreadsheets with ActiveX buttons will work. I also am unable to add a new ActiveX button as I get a Message Can not insert Object.

Does anyone know what I could have done? Or how I can fix this?

Thanks

Yes I am still having the problem. Using excel 2013 on Windows 7 SP1

Did you delete all the .exd files and did you have all office apps closed when you did it?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Re: ActiveX buttons stopped working

Deleting MSForms.exd that was installed in <user>\AppData\Local\Temp\Excel8.0 by yesterdays security update worked for me!

(Excel 2007, Windows 7)

Thanks!</user>

Upvote 0

Deleting *.exd fixed something, I still get funny bugs I did not get before the updates

such as

Code:
Sub GetVisible(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef visible)
x = thisworbook.activesheet.name -->  ERR 32803 Application or object defined error

elsewhere the code works, but when called from a sub that is called from ribbon... no luck :(

great stuff from MS

Upvote 0

One more tip: EXD files are in PC temp folder. If you moved temp folder to RAM drive or anywhere else, look there too!
now ALL my problems seem to be resolved without the need to remove installed updates

Upvote 0
Can you try deleting them all again, then rebooting before starting any Office apps? I've just had someone report that they needed a reboot before the fix worked.

Upvote 0
Re: ActiveX buttons stoped working <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< PROBLEM SOLVED

Rory - I did have all office apps closed when I deleted the .exd files. Still have the problem.

Try this method, listed on page #2....
I have Windows 8 running Office 2007. I could not find "MSForms.exd". But I ran free version of CCleaner (which empties temp locations), after I checked the advance settings to make sure "only delete if older than 24hrs" was SWITCHED OFF, and...

PROBLEM SOLVED ! ! !

I use the free AI List (Action Item List) from ExcelAutomationHelp.com daily, it it wouldn't group-sort until I fixed this. Made me realize how awesome group-sort is.

Upvote 0
Can you try deleting them all again, then rebooting before starting any Office apps? I've just had someone report that they needed a reboot before the fix worked.

I just fixed the problem by deleting all of the Office Updates that were applied to my machine after 12/10/14. There were about 15 or so that I deleted. I am guessing it was one of the Office security updates that was causing the problems.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to share my experience...
I went through EVERY SINGE workaround suggested on multiple sites off and on for almost a month with no success. I was ready to throw my computer out the door.
FINALLY my IT guy just suggested a restore just to start from scratch. After the restore I tried my workbook again...nothing. My last ditch effort was to try (for the 24987582498646 time) to delete those TEMP files.
Low and behold..IT WOKED!!!!!!!!!! I've never been more exited to click a button before in my life!!!!!! SO if NONE of thee solutions work...do a RESTORE AND DELETE THETMP FILES!!! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back