ActiveX controls revert to standard names (e.g. CheckBox1) on upgrade to 2013

msherwin

I have a worksheet with several ActiveX controls that was created in Excel 2010. When I open it in 2013, all the controls have lost the names I assigned. They are now named ComboBox1, CheckBox1, etc. Needless to say, my VBA code doesn't work anymore. Of course I cold rename all the controls, and/or tweak the VBA as necessary, but I'm concerned that the workbook will break when I distribute it to people running other versions.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Did you save the file as an .xls file (old format) and not as an .xlsm file (new format)?

Regards,
Mitch

Upvote 0
Thank you AlphaFrog for your reply.

Yes, this is a macro enabled workbook. All the controls still exist, and the VBA is intact. The issue is that the controls have lost the names I gave them, and the VBA code still references them by the those friendly names.

For example, the following code:

Private Sub checkLanguageOther_Click()
If checkLanguageOther.Object.Value = True Then
ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("lblOtherLanguage").Object.Enabled = True
ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("textOtherLanguage").Object.Enabled = True
Else
ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("lblOtherLanguage").Object.Enabled = False
ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("textOtherLanguage").Object.Enabled = False
End If
End Sub

doesn't even get called when I click the check box because I named it "checkLanguageOther" when I created the workbook in Excel 2010 and it got renamed to CheckBox3 when I opened the workbook in 2013. Again, I know I can go through and rename everything, but what happens when someone opens up my workbook in the next version of excel? I have trouble believing that Microsoft would not support carrying named controls from one version of Office to the next.

Thanks,
Mitch

Upvote 0
Just so I can eliminate this definitively, please confirm that you did not save this from Excel 2010 using the old version .xls file format (which also could be a macro enabled file). There are issues with converting ActiveX controls when saving with the old file format.

Otherwise, I don't have any other suggestions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spg5150

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back