Add up all Numbers in a Cell with a Line Break?

Willy Excel

Sum ThesePlace Here:

<tbody>
</tbody>

Greetings! Is there a simple method to SUM all digits within a cell with line breaks?

Some cells in the column have no numbers, some have one number, and others have a line break with a number on top and number on bottom.

Or: is there a way to highlight the cells and show "Sum:" down bottom?

Thanks!<attachment></attachment>

Thanks, Tony! I notice yours works if the cells have a number on top of a line break and a number on the bottom of a line break. It's returning "FALSE" if there's only one number in a cell or no numbers, however.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Put bracket in wrong place......

Should be

=IF(LEN(I2)>=2,SUM(LEFT(I2,1),RIGHT(I2,1)),I2)

but this still doesn't work as it populates with a 0 in an empty cell

Upvote 0
Just tried this new one. Looks like it works to me! 0 in an empty cell is my goal for the project. Thank you, Sir.

Upvote 0
Just tried this new one. Looks like it works to me! 0 in an empty cell is my goal for the project. Thank you, Sir.

This formula will only work if ALL your values a 0 to 9 if any of your numbers have multiple digits we will have to rethink.

Upvote 0
Put bracket in wrong place......

Should be

Looks like if there is a line break, it automatically treats it as having a length of greater than or equal to 2. Is that correct? And the "LEFT" will take from the top of a line break and "RIGHT" will take from the bottom of the line break. Is that correct?

Upvote 0
Sort of, we know that the length of combined characters will be 0, 1 or >2 irrespective of special characters. So the formula simply checks to see if the cell contains more than 2 characters. If it does it sums the 1st character on the left with the last character on the right. Otherwise it simply returns the cell value eg 0 for nothing or 1-9.

For multiple digit values i'm sure theres a way to check the type of character NUMBER or TEXT and actually have a variable length LEN statement.

Upvote 0

The first thing this formula does is check the number of characters in the cell "LEN()" and says IF there are 2 or more characters we need to add them together
SUM() it's easy to find those characters because (I ASSUMED) they had a length of 1 so we take 1 character from the LEFT() and add it to 1 character from the RIGHT()
IF there is 1 or less character in the cell the formula simply presents that value as the answer.

Upvote 0
Genius! Never guessed that would have worked with a line break, but I guess it does. Thanks, Tony.

Also, I looked at the entire data set. Although possible, a number of 10 or more has never actually happened. The 1 in a 1000 or so that it does, I am willing to manually correct the error. For my purposes, this one is solved. Thank you to all!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back