Add up all Numbers in a Cell with a Line Break?

Willy Excel

Sum ThesePlace Here:

<tbody>
</tbody>

Greetings! Is there a simple method to SUM all digits within a cell with line breaks?

Some cells in the column have no numbers, some have one number, and others have a line break with a number on top and number on bottom.

Or: is there a way to highlight the cells and show "Sum:" down bottom?

Thanks!<attachment></attachment>

Everybody, I have just discovered a major wrinkle. There can actually be multiple line breaks. So, a cell can have: no data, two rows, three rows, or four rows. How could we update the formulas for this more complex scenario?

DataSUM

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Where is your raw data coming from, I'm thinking it might be more appropriate to CLEAN the data first?

Another alternative is to use the inbuilt feature "TEXT TO COLUMNS" which can be found on the DATA TAB

Is you 1st data entry is in cell A2, then the output for "TEXT TO COLUMNS" would be B2, C2, D2 and E2 based on the fact some of your cells contain UPTO 4 numbers.

F2 would now become a simple SUM() of B2, C2, D2 and E2 and contain your answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is coming from a website related to my job that exports to excel and that is how it exports it. I could manually do it in a new column, but a formula would be terrific.

Upvote 0
Where is your raw data coming from, I'm thinking it might be more appropriate to CLEAN the data first?

Another alternative is to use the inbuilt feature "TEXT TO COLUMNS" which can be found on the DATA TAB

Is you 1st data entry is in cell A2, then the output for "TEXT TO COLUMNS" would be B2, C2, D2 and E2 based on the fact some of your cells contain UPTO 4 numbers.

F2 would now become a simple SUM() of B2, C2, D2 and E2 and contain your answer.

Upvote 0
No luck with that latest formula.

Hi, "No Luck" doesn't give us much to work on to help you trouble shoot.

Your previous one works perfectly, however.

Everybody, I have just discovered a major wrinkle. There can actually be multiple line breaks.

If you know what the maximum number is then you can extend my suggestion as below, for say a maximum of 5 line breaks. If the maximum is truly unknown then we can adapt the formula to be dynamic.

=SUMPRODUCT(0+(0&TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(13),REPT(" ",99)),{1,2,3,4,5}*99-98,99))))

Upvote 0
I say go with FormR's formula, adapted for either CHAR(13) or CHAR(10) and accounting for up to 10 line breaks. Why not?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(0&TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(13),CHAR(10)),CHAR(10),REPT(" ",99)),{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}*99-98,99))))

Upvote 0

Thanks, Tony. I wouldn't have thought of that approach. A formula would be better, however, since spreadsheet needs one cell in a nearby column.

Upvote 0
Hi, "No Luck" doesn't give us much to work on to help you trouble shoot.
Thanks for your help again, FormR. From your:
=SUMPRODUCT(0+(0&TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(10),CHAR(13)),CHAR(13),REPT(" ",99)),{1,2}*99-98,99))))

Data SUM

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
If you know what the maximum number is then you can extend my suggestion as below, for say a maximum of 5 line breaks. If the maximum is truly unknown then we can adapt the formula to be dynamic.

=SUMPRODUCT(0+(0&TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(13),REPT(" ",99)),{1,2,3,4,5}*99-98,99))))

Bingo! Works great.

Upvote 0
I say go with FormR's formula, adapted for either CHAR(13) or CHAR(10) and accounting for up to 10 line breaks. Why not?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(0&TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(13),CHAR(10)),CHAR(10),REPT(" ",99)),{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}*99-98,99))))

Thanks, Erik. This one correctly returned:

DataSUM

<tbody>
</tbody>

I see it has a mix of both char 10 and 13. It's working on my Mac. Is that designed to work on PC as well with that mix of both 10 and 13?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back