Advanced JSON Data Query with Web API (URL parts?)

SheToastsMe

Hello,
I'm using a Web API to retrieve tables of JSON data successfully into my spreadsheet.

In the Query Editor window, there's an "applied steps" sequential list, featuring the first step, "source". Source is the actual web URL of the API itself.

The dialog box for source allows entry of the URL in Basic and Advanced modes. In Basic, I put the entire URL string; in Advanced, I can add fields that will concatenate the URL string in parts. In fact, the box calls this field "URL Parts"

Well, I'd like to fill in fields based on data found in the sheet itself. In otherwords, I want to use data in my sheet to build the URL for the Web Query-- much in the way you can make a hyperlink in a cell by using text operations

Code:
=HYPERLINK($A$3&"/API/?search"&A7)

So restated; how can I use an in-sheet formula to assemble a text string to feed the Source of a Web Query?

:) Should be easy, right??

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Got the same problem. Need to use the first query info. ie vehicle_id and put that id (cell range.copy) and paste it into part of the API to reference the vehicles details or specifications. Then paste the result into a table in sheet 2. I need to step through 6880 vehicles. Any VBA code will do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back