All Code in Recently Saved Files Will No Longer Work

masouder

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a problem that I cannot figure out and is making me crazy.

I have a client in another state who I send new versions of a file to every day. It is a complex file with a lot of code. All of a sudden the code in the files that I sent to him yesterday and today does not work. No code works and generates a 32809 error. ActiveX buttons do not work, but do not generate errors. (I am aware of the recent Windows update and the MSForms.exd issue.) I resent files from the last four days and those do not work either; however, a file I sent on December 9 works fine. That said, if I save the December 9 file with a new name, the code in new file does not work either. The files in question are on a flash drive that I use for portability.

I am working in Excel 2007 and all of the client's computers run Excel 2013. I have a backup laptop with Excel 2010 and all files work fine. I went to a business center today and on their computer with Excel 2010 I experienced the same issues that my client is facing. When I tested the files on my wife's computer (Excel 2007) there were no issues. When I sent a file to a friend (Excel 2010) he had the same problems.

I opened the December 9 file on my laptop and on my wife's computer, saved as a different name, sent to client and both files had problems.

So...
(1) all versions of the file work on some computers, but do not work on others. There does not appear to be any consistency across versions of Excel.
(2) as soon as I save the file that works under a different name it does not work. I tried this on three computers.
(3) other files store on the save flash drive do no seem to be affected - they continue to work in.

Like I said, I am going crazy, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Did all of the users delete their exd files and repair Excel?

Upvote 0
I don't know for but I don't think so. For example, on my wife's computer all ActiveX buttons work fine and I didn't perform any kind of repair, though I don't know if her computer was ever updated.

The think that leads away from thinking it is related to the Windows update is that code not associated with ActiveX controls does not work either. For example I have routine that automatically unprotects a sheet when the user presses Ctrl+Shift+U. That code throws a 32809 error.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, but my issue is different. The December 9 file works fine - even ActiveX buttons - on any machine, even ones that have not corrected the MSForms.exd issue. Any file saved after that time has problems with ALL code on several 2013 machines and at least two 2010 machines. But everything works fine on a different 2010 machine. Note that as test I created a new file with a form button and an ActiveX button and sent it to my client who is on 2013. The form button worked fine, the ActiveX (as expected) did nothing. But again on the same 2013 machine, the December 9 file works perfectly, even ActiveX buttons.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LSchleppi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back