Alphabet input only

malbiar

How can I restrict cells to allow only alphabet character entry only? I cannot figure out a possible formula in Data Validation and formatting the cells to General or Text allows other non-alphabet characters. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Are you willing to use VBA for this?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I can't see a way to do this with Data Validation, but maybe someone else can.

Upvote 0
Sure. You need to install the code below by following these steps:
To install sheet code:
1. Right-click the worksheet tab you want to apply it to and choose 'View Code'. This will open the VBE window.
2. Copy the code below from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
3. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
4. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim c As Range
If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("A")) Is Nothing Then  'Replace Columns("A") with whatever range you want to apply this to
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    For Each c In Target
        If c.Value <> "" Then
            For i = 1 To Len(c.Value)
                If Mid(c.Value, i, 1) Like "[!A-Za-z]" Then
'                    c.Value = ""
                    Application.Undo
                    MsgBox "Sorry - only alpha characters allowed in column A cell entries." & vbLf & vbLf & _
                    "If you are entering more than one cell, any non-alpha character will cause all entries to revert to their pre-entry values"
                    Application.EnableEvents = True
                    Exit Sub
                End If
            Next i
        End If
    Next c
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
End Sub

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this code is set to monitor the whole of column A of the relevant worksheet. You can change the range (in red font above) to any range you wish to monitor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm using Excel 2010, but will be similar for other versions.File>Options>Trust Center (see note below)>Trust Center Settings>Trusted Locations>Add New Location

Use a location like: C:\Users\Joe\
replacing Joe with your user name. You can add more sub-folders as desired.

Note: When you reach the Trust Center dialog box, under Macro Settings, check the "Disable all macros with notification" radio button.

Upvote 0
I prefer to do without if possible.
Try this in standard Data Validation -> Allow: Custom -> Formula:

=SUM(LEN(A1) - LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A1), CHAR(ROW(INDIRECT("65:90"))), ""))) = LEN(A1)

This is for cell A1 but if applying to a range, select the range and use the active cell address where I have used A1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kshealy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back