Alternative to COUNTIFS for a constantly growing database

multifidus

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have been working on a statistics model for NBA players, where I track how well they do each day based on a specific number (do they score more or less than X points, rebounds, assists, etc.). I am trying to build a single spreadsheet that can reference each day that a player played and count the number of "wins" (above the X value) and "losses" (below the X value). Note, that I go into the sheet each day and write a "W" or a "L" if they won or loss compared to the X value. COUNTIFS does not work for this instance as each day's spreadsheet has to be open in order to reference their wins and losses. I am tracking multiple players in the same sheet each day so I cannot utilize the =SUM(IF alternative (as far as I can tell).

In essence, I have my main tracking sheet with all the players listed. I would like the formula to check each day's spreadsheet to see if that player is listed, if so, then see if they won or loss compared to the X points value and that would then +1 to the main reference sheet under "wins" for that player or if they did not beat that value that day it would then +1 to the main reference sheet under "loss" for that player.

Are there any other alternatives that I could potentially use to do this without having all of the workbooks open?

Thank you for reading!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
What you are really describing is a relational database model. As such, a relational database program, like Microsoft Access, SQL, MySQL, Oracle, etc would be a much better choice to use for something like this, where it is very easy to group and total data. They key is to add all data to one single table. Relational Database programs were designed for this purpose (use the right tool for the job!).

One the Excel side, instead of having separate workbooks, why not have it all in one workbook?
If you do not want all the data on one sheet (which would actually be the optimal set-up), you could use different sheets for each day.
It would still be a bit messier than using a Relational Database program, but it might be doable (though probably a bit clunky)!

Upvote 1
Solution
Thank you for the response! I guess it is time I try to learn a database program.

I might also try moving all of it to a single workbook.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back