Another User Has Exclusive Access

ARW17

Board Regular
I can't get multiple users in a new database. When I've written previous databases, I split them and made multiple front ends and had no issues. I've been working for weeks on this and can't figure it out.

What I've Tried:
1. The database is split and the BE is in a separate folder from the front end.
2. I've made multiple .accdb and .accde front ends, but the error is in both.
3. We have 3 users. They all have Client Settings>Advanced>Default Open Mode>Shared AND Client Settings>Advanced>Default Record Locking>Edited Record.
4. We're all working in full versions of MS Access 2013.
5. We all have permissions to access the files where the front and back ends are stored.

We can't get our work done if only one person is in it at a time. I need serious help. Anyone have additional suggestions? The last db I worked on, most folks had the reader and they used .accde files. Does this have something to do with it? Also, should I be seeing a lock symbol on my .accde files when they're not open?

TYIA

I would try seeing if it works if there are no parameters (i.e, hard code some parameters in and see if it runs without the use of the comboboxes). Originally you said two people cannot use the database at the same time. Now you are only saying two people cannot use the database effectively at the same time. So that is a huge amount of progress.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Referring to my previous post, the query is dependent on a union query. Is that not allowed?

Even in the master/child set-up, it says that it can't run the union query when someone else is already using it.

is the query in the FE or BE

I may be wrong but I always thought queries had to be in the FE

Upvote 0
As a general rule you can run queries for more than one user at a time. I don't know of any particular restrictions on union queries that would prevent them from also running so I'd put that under the general rule. My suggestion is to get rid of the parameters first (therefore one less variable) then see what you get. If it works with hardcoded parameters you know the problem lies in how you are linking up the parameter input with the query. If it doesn't work still ... well, then you also know the problem is not in those comboboxes so that is a win too. If you are worried about union queries particulary you can then easily substitute a non-union query and test the result again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back