AppActivate

gmooney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can anyone tell me if certain versions of Excel won't handle this function?

AppActivate "Category Review Links.xlsm"

It works fine on my PC (Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise 64bit) when running this code but I have a user with Microsoft ProPlus 32bit that it errors out on.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I'm not aware of any versions that won't handle it. But some versions have different names for the apps. Your file might be named "Excel - Category Review Links.xlsm" instead, for example. You can try this code that searches through all the open windows to see if any of them have a partial match for your app name:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

' These are API calls to get a list of active windows
Private Declare PtrSafe Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetWindowText Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpString As String, ByVal cch As Long) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetWindowTextLength Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextLengthA" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal wCmd As Long) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function IsWindowVisible Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Boolean

Private Const GW_HWNDNEXT = 2

Sub Testit()
Dim lhWndP As Long, AppName As String

AppName = GetNameFromPartialCaption(lhWndP, "Category Review Links")
    If AppName <> "" Then
        AppActivate (AppName)
    End If

End Sub

Private Function GetNameFromPartialCaption(ByRef lWnd As Long, ByVal sCaption As String) As String
Dim lhWndP As Long
Dim sStr As String

GetNameFromPartialCaption = ""                                      ' Default is empty
    lhWndP = FindWindow(vbNullString, vbNullString)                     ' Get the Parent Window handle
    Do While lhWndP <> 0                                                ' While there are more handles . . .
        sStr = String(GetWindowTextLength(lhWndP) + 1, Chr$(0))         ' Get the window name for that handle
        GetWindowText lhWndP, sStr, Len(sStr)                           ' Get the window name for that handle
        sStr = Left$(sStr, Len(sStr) - 1)                               ' Drop last character
        If InStr(sStr, sCaption) > 0 Then                               ' Does it contain our string?
            GetNameFromPartialCaption = sStr                            ' Yes?  then save the name
            lWnd = lhWndP                                               '            save the handle
            Exit Do
        End If
        lhWndP = GetWindow(lhWndP, GW_HWNDNEXT)                         ' No? then get the next window
    Loop

End Function

Upvote 0
I'm not aware of any versions that won't handle it. But some versions have different names for the apps. Your file might be named "Excel - Category Review Links.xlsm" instead, for example. You can try this code that searches through all the open windows to see if any of them have a partial match for your app name:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

' These are API calls to get a list of active windows
Private Declare PtrSafe Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetWindowText Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpString As String, ByVal cch As Long) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetWindowTextLength Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextLengthA" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal wCmd As Long) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function IsWindowVisible Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Boolean

Private Const GW_HWNDNEXT = 2

Sub Testit()
Dim lhWndP As Long, AppName As String

AppName = GetNameFromPartialCaption(lhWndP, "Category Review Links")
    If AppName <> "" Then
        AppActivate (AppName)
    End If

End Sub

Private Function GetNameFromPartialCaption(ByRef lWnd As Long, ByVal sCaption As String) As String
Dim lhWndP As Long
Dim sStr As String

GetNameFromPartialCaption = ""                                      ' Default is empty
    lhWndP = FindWindow(vbNullString, vbNullString)                     ' Get the Parent Window handle
    Do While lhWndP <> 0                                                ' While there are more handles . . .
        sStr = String(GetWindowTextLength(lhWndP) + 1, Chr$(0))         ' Get the window name for that handle
        GetWindowText lhWndP, sStr, Len(sStr)                           ' Get the window name for that handle
        sStr = Left$(sStr, Len(sStr) - 1)                               ' Drop last character
        If InStr(sStr, sCaption) > 0 Then                               ' Does it contain our string?
            GetNameFromPartialCaption = sStr                            ' Yes?  then save the name
            lWnd = lhWndP                                               '            save the handle
            Exit Do
        End If
        lhWndP = GetWindow(lhWndP, GW_HWNDNEXT)                         ' No? then get the next window
    Loop

End Function
Hi Eric,

I ran your code and nothing appeared to happen? Should I have expected some result to display?

Upvote 0
If nothing happened, then likely it couldn't find a match at all for your window name. Try putting

VBA Code:
Debug.Print sStr

right after the sStr = Left . . . line, and it will give a list of open windows. See if any of them are close to the one you expect to find.

Upvote 0
If nothing happened, then likely it couldn't find a match at all for your window name. Try putting

VBA Code:
Debug.Print sStr

right after the sStr = Left . . . line, and it will give a list of open windows. See if any of them are close to the one you expect to find.
Eric,

So I added that line of code. I then went to your code and changed the AppName = GetNameFromPartialCaption(lhWndP, "Category Review Links") line TO INCLUDE the name of my company to the actual file name "Category Review xxxxxxx Links". The immediate window did not find anything. But when i took the company name out of your code and went back to "Category Review Links" and also saved my Excel file back to "Category Review Links" the immediate window found this at the very end.

Align
Align
Align
View
Run
Run
Run
Run Sub/UserForm (F5)
Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications - Category Review Links.xlsm [running] - [Module1 (Code)]

Upvote 0
So it looks like the last line might be the window you want? Did you try using

VBA Code:
AppName = GetNameFromPartialCaption(lhWndP, "Category Review")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyouryo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back