Append range to end of variant array

macroCoder

Hello,

I've hit a brick wall.

I want to append a range of values to the end of an array. I define the array as a variant -- Dim myArray() -- and then "move down" a spreadsheet using Excel's OFFSET function.

So far so good. But when I encounter a row of data that meets the criteria I'm searching for, I select the row and... hit a brick wall. :oops:

Because I don't know how to APPEND the selected range to the end of the array. I only seem able to replace the entire array with each newly selected range.

The data I'm searching for in the spreadsheet is scattered across discontinuous rows. It is not in a contagious range. So I can't just define my array based on a contiguous range -- I have to "build" the array one criteria-fitting row at a time.

(I could create a new sheet and paste all of the ranges I encounter so that sheet, forming a contagious range, which I could then pass to an array -- but this solution would run too slowly. There has to be a better way!)

Thank you for any suggestions/examples.
-- macroCoder

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Why are you using an array?

Why do you think getting all the ranges that meet your criteria on to another worksheet would be slow?

As far as I can work out you are currently using a loop, have you considered a auto/advanced filter?

Depending on exactly what you are doing those could be applied with just a few lines of code and no looping.:)

PS If you really want to 'append' to an array then take a look at ReDim.

Upvote 0
I can use a loop to cycle through a range, appending one value at time to the array, and that is what I've done for the time being. It doesn't even require ReDim if I define the array to be larger than needed.

But especially when working with large amounts of data, array operations are faster than reading and writing to a sheet (http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2006/12/04/writing-to-a-range-using-vba/)

Is there a way to append a contiguous range to the end of a variant array?

Thanks for your response.
-- macroCoder

Upvote 0
You could use a filter to get the values you want, put them somewhere and then assign them to an array - without any looping.

Why would you define the array larger than needed?

In the code you've posted all you seem to be doing is declaring the array - you aren't dimensioning it.

What exactly do you mean by adding a contiguous range at the end of an array?

Am I missing something here?:)

PS I know about the array vs range thing but I really don't think the performance difference is that great.

Unless you are dealing with gigantic datasets.:eek:

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a large data set.

By defining the array larger than needed, there is no need to redimension it.

True, the code I posted in the original message showed no array dimensions. My reference in the second post to an array that I had defined to be larger than needed referred to code that I had written between posting the first and second messages.

By appending a contiguous range to the end of an array, I mean: How do I append Range("A1:A5") to the end of an array? This is the question.

We can call it a thought exercise for discussion's sake. Or take it on faith that I (a) have declared a variant array, or (b) will use ReDim to resize the array as elements are added to it, or (c) defined a larger array than I'll need, to avoid the need to redimension.

My focus is on appending Range("A1:A5") to an array -- assuming that array has been properly defined or resized to allow the addition of Range("A1:A5").

Thanks for your reply. I think we're getting close.

Upvote 0
I still don't quite get what you mean by append a contiguous range to an array.

What exactly would you be appending to the array?

What would be the dimensions of the array?

It also a little unclear what range(s) you want to work with.

In your first post you seemed to want to do something with a row that satisfied some sort of criteria.

Now you are referring to the range A1:A5 - that's not a row.:)

Perhaps we're just getting terminology mixed up.:eek:

Posting some sample data and more information might clear things up.

I've got a few ideas in my mind but I think to post them might just muddy things up further.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back