Append text to indirect reference

gwhitney

I have done a bit of searching but am having a hard time finding a way to accomplish my objective. I was hoping someone here can help. I have the following query that works perfectly:

=IF(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("'Combined Pipeline View'!C",ROUNDDOWN(ROW()/2+1,0)))="","",INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("'Combined Pipeline View'!C",ROUNDDOWN(ROW()/2+1,0))))

It returns the results of a cell in a workbook called Combined Pipeline View. This formula will create two rows in the destination sheet for every one row in the source sheet so long as the source is not empty. What I want to be able to do is append some text to the source value for one of the destination rows.

Here is an example which I know is not correct but for illustrative purposes:

=IF(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("'Combined Pipeline View'!C",ROUNDDOWN(ROW()/2+1,0)))="","",INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("TEST ","'Combined Pipeline View'!C",ROUNDDOWN(ROW()/2+1,0))))

If the source cell has a value of "ABCD" and the IF condition is appropriate then the new cell would have "TEST ABCD". I've tried various combinations of re-writing this function but can only get back a REF# or a TRUE/FALSE result of the IF statement due to the use of the INDIRECT statement. Thanks in advance for any time you might spend thinking about this.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Welcome to Mr Excel

Try

=IF(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("'Combined Pipeline View'!C",ROUNDDOWN(ROW()/2+1,0)))="","","TEST "&INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("'Combined Pipeline View'!C",ROUNDDOWN(ROW()/2+1,0))))

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0
Yes, perfect. Simple and effective. I tried the ampersand but I think I was using it inside the INDIRECT statement. I got lost in my function. Thanks for your help with this.

Upvote 0
Yes, perfect. Simple and effective. I tried the ampersand but I think I was using it inside the INDIRECT statement. I got lost in my function. Thanks for your help with this.

You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgp19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back