Appending (or prepending) to a comment, keeping comment format

BenW71

I have a workbook where i am comparing two worksheets that should be identical for the most part, including comments. When there is a difference, I am marking the cell yellow in the main sheet and then creating a formatted comment with details on what is different.

As many of the cells have formatted comments already, I have created a function that inserts a new comment at the end of an existing comment and keeps the formatting of both comments.

Below is the code for what i have. This would be called after i compare the comment text of the two fields and determine they are different.

The code seems to work fine. However copying one character at a time can't be very efficient. I would be able to insert the comment with something like TF.Characters(TF.Characters.Count+1).Insert (DiffR.Comment.text). But how can i copy over the font structure for the bold and size formatting of the comment with a single statement using SOMETHING LIKE TF.Characters(start position before the copy,start position before the copy + copytf.characters.count).Font = CopyTF(0,copytf.characters.count).font? This doesn't seem to work...

Code:
Public Sub AddDifferentComment(R As Range, DiffR As Range)
Dim TF As TextFrame, CopyTF As TextFrame, theChar As String
Dim SeparatorStr As String
Dim i As Integer

SeparatorStr = Chr(10) & "---------------------------" & Chr(10)

Set TF = R.Comment.Shape.TextFrame
    Set CopyTF = DiffR.Comment.Shape.TextFrame

TF.Characters(TF.Characters.Count).Insert (SeparatorStr)

For i = 1 To CopyTF.Characters.Count
        theChar = CopyTF.Characters(i, 1).text
        TF.Characters(TF.Characters.Count + 1).Insert (theChar)
        TF.Characters(TF.Characters.Count).Font.Bold = CopyTF.Characters(i, 1).Font.Bold
        TF.Characters(TF.Characters.Count).Font.Size = CopyTF.Characters(i, 1).Font.Size
    Next i
End Sub

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Have you tried adding the text for the new comment and then applying the formatting?

Upvote 0
Yes i have tried without success. That's what i was alluding to when i was looking for SOMETHING LIKE TF.Characters(start position before the copy,start position before the copy + copytf.characters.count).Font = CopyTF(0,copytf.characters.count).font? This doesn't seem to work...

I don' tknow how to apply a formatting for a range of characters in the existing textframe structure.

Upvote 0
Distilling this to its most basic question... If i have 2 textframe structures from 2 different ranges' comments, how do i create a new comment with one concatenated before the other retaining the formatting... This way i could use that sub for prepending comments, adding 2-3 comments in there, etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHOJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back