Array Formula for 2nd occurrence

jwehrly2000

Hello, I have the following formula:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Matrix!A4:A98,MATCH("DNA",Matrix!F4:F98,0)),"")

This formula works perfectly and searches the array for DNA and returns the appropriate cell value. However I need a separate formula to search for 2nd,occurrence and not return the value that has already been returned. I have fiddled around with it for awhile but I have been unsuccessful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

V/r
Jeremy

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Try:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Matrix!A4:A98,SMALL(IF(Matrix!F4:F98="DNA",ROW(F4:F98)-ROW(F4)+1),2)),"")
confirmed with Control+Shift+Enter.

Note that if you want to find the nth occurrence, you can put this formula in a cell, say B2,

=IFERROR(INDEX(Matrix!$A$4:$A$98,SMALL(IF(Matrix!$F$4:$F$98="DNA",ROW($F$4:$F$98)-ROW($F$4)+1),ROWS($B$2:$B2))),"")

confirm with Control+Shift+Enter, then drag it down the column, it will return the first, second, third, etc. instances.

Upvote 0
.. or there is this alternative that does not require the Ctrl+Shift+Enter confirmation.

My example is also for the formula to go in cell B2 (change the red part if a different cell is used) and copied down to return the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc instance.

Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(INDEX(Matrix!A$4:A$98,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Matrix!A$4:A$98)-ROW(Matrix!A$4)+1)/(Matrix!F$4:F$98="DNA"),ROWS(B$2:B2))),"")

Edit: @Eric
I think you would need all your F4:F98 ranges referenced to the Matrix sheet otherwise row insertion/deletion in either Matrix or the formula sheet could cause inaccurate results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, the formula doesn't seem to be working, In my workbook I have cells I68, J68, I69, J69, I70 and J70 assigned for this. I need I68 = 1st occurrence, J68=2nd, I69=3rd, J69=4th, I70=5th and J70 =6th. Is it possible to do this with this formula. When I inserted it, it would only give the first occurrence. Thanks for all your help.

V/r
Jeremy

Upvote 0
Since the formula is being copied both across and down in the I68:J70 range, it needs some adjustments. Try this in I68, copied across to J68 and down to row 70.

=IFERROR(INDEX(Matrix!$A$4:$A$98,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Matrix!$A$4:$A$98)-ROW(Matrix!$A$4)+1)/(Matrix!$F$4:$F$98="DNA"),2*(ROWS(I$68:I68)-1)+COLUMNS($I68:I68))),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
p17tootie

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back